Another Brisket Question

Discussion in 'Beef' started by 4x15mph, Sep 2, 2015.

1. 4x15mph

4x15mph Fire Starter

I want to smoke a brisket and I was expecting to follow the instructions in another thread about separating the flat from the point.  I bought the 7 pound brisket from Sam's and the label has "Beef brisket flat boneless cou".  

1) Does this mean the point has been cut off along with the "corn"?  

2) It has a large fat layer on one side so should I remove that before cooking? 

Thank you

2. cofi

cofi Fire Starter

Yea sounds like it's just the flat post up pics!

I personally would only remove any hard fat you find imo just a flat is going to need as much fat to keep it moist as possible

3. 4x15mph

4x15mph Fire Starter

Arghhh... why do they sell just the flat if it will not be moist?  Should I consider getting something different at this point and keep this one for home consumption only?

I would take a picture but it is in the cryovac and will stay there until I pull it out on Friday for seasoning.  I will smoke it on Saturday.  

4. cofi

cofi Fire Starter

5. demosthenes9

demosthenes9 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

4x15, it will be moist if you cook it correctly, which is to put it in your smoker and cook it until a probe goes through the thickest part of the flat like a knife through butter.  The moisture in a brisket comes from the breaking down and rendering of the connective tissue between the muscle fibers, not from the external fat.

That said, a decent fat cap can act as a shield to prevent the exterior of your brisket from getting scorched.