an old cherokee indian

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coyote

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
An old Cherokee Indian was speaking to his grandson:

"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil--he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is good -- he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. This same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a long minute, and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

coyote
Thanks for posting.

My mother has always told me I have a little Cherokee in me. I am told it is from her great, great grandmothers doings..... naughty gal she was.....

I am proud to produce Cherokee Smoke (is there such of a thing?), and I will say for the wolf; They are a beautiful animal !!!

coyote, that is always a great story. I have used it many times when I was an active Scouter*, it always makes folks stop and think which wolf they are feeding.

*Scoutmaster (3 different Troops), Assistant Soutmaster, Cubmaster, Assistant Cubmaster, Webelos Leader, Den Leader for Wolfs and Bears, Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner, District Training Commissioner, District Commissioner (Key 3), Order of the Arrow Chapter Advisor, Troop Committee member, Merit Badge Councilor, Eagle Scout Board of Review Committee member.

Somehow I have missed this thread all this time.

Your words couldn't be more true.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky