AMZNPS Cheese Experiment - Wine Barrel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the zil

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Evans City, PA
My first try with cheese didn't go well (too not) so I'm trying again. I ordered the AMZNPS that I've read so much about along with the Wine Barrel pellets. Who doesn't like a little wine with their cheese? Using a Masterbuilt 30" smoker, turned off. Broke the AMZNPS in, per instructions. I took the chip hopper out to increase airflow and have the top vent open wide. My ember went out and I re-lit. There is some smoke, not a lot, but I'm not sure what is the perfect amount for TBS. I tend to be a little heavy handed with smoke so I'm trying to control myself. Wish me luck. Any suggestions are appreciated. Don't worry about sparing my feeling, there aren't any left after work today. Lol

Last edited:
Good luck!

I've found that cold smoking is a good opportunity to learn about your AMPNS. It won't be a bother if you open the door frequently to make sure it is generating smoke. I still have problems keeping the darn thing lit.

Just remember to let your cheese mellow in the fridge for at least a couple weeks. A month or more is best.

good luck this time around.. if you want more smoke just light the other end too.... the only down side with lighting both ends is.... it tends to generate just a little more heat...

Sawdust on the other hand doesn't generate near as much heat as pellets

Last edited:
I've found withe the hopper out that the smoke was leeching out that way so I put it half in. May light both sides.

Bit of a learning curve on this thing. Watched a YouTube video on how to light it. I need to learn to slow down. Lol. I'll update on the taste test when it mellows.

BTW, it is 66 deg here now. No worries about meltdowns. Do you need to smoke longer if it is cooler?

At that temp you don't need ice.

Cheese looks good to me

The ice did, I tossed it, lol. It's 57 inside. Smoking good now. I wasn't letting the pellets catch good at first. Let them burn for 10 min last time I lit them and it worked like a charm.

I use dust for cheese.

How long you gonna smoke the cheese?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky