AMNPS Goes Out with Mailbox Mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rhinodbj

Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
West-con-sin!
I've had my AMNPS for a year and a half ... love it ... most of the time ... but lately it seems like the AMNPS goes out more often than not in my mailbox mod.

I'm using Todd's pellets (Pitmaster's Choice), microwave 'em 'til they're really hot ... light 'em with a torch, let 'em burn for 10-15 minutes and put 'em in the mailbox.

As the pictures show that I have 3 "port holes" in the door of the mailbox ... and a 3" duct out the back into the Brinkman.  I've tried opening and/or closing different configurations of "baffles" on the Brinkman ... and nothing seems to make much difference.

At times it almost seems like I'm getting a backdraft through the Brinkman that pushes the smoke back into the mailbox ... not desired, either.

So ... how 'bout some help ...
  1. How can I keep the pellets lit?
  2. How can I keep the smoke from back-drafting?
Thanks!

Rhino DBJ

Do you set the AMNPS right on the bottom of the mailbox? Make a spacer could even be a few pieces of tinfoil rolled into logs then placed at each end. Doesn't have to be much, just enough to get it up off the bottom to allow better air flow.

Another thing is you may not have the air holes positioned low enough. It also appears that you are piping the smoke in above the heat source. The hot air is blocking the cold from coming in. First I would add some air intakes lower in the door of your mailbox. If that doesn't work I'd move you out let hose lower than the heat source. That will allow the heat above to suck the cold air from the mailbox into the smoker.

As the others have said it's mostly down to air flow/draft and good dry pellets. When cold smoking i put an old PC fan on the top vent to pull air up and out the cabinet.

Keep both the top air vents wide open on the smoker.... cut down on the flame in the burner.... the best smoking temp is under 140... finish adding smoke then turn up the heat.... try closing down the lower air vents about 1/2 also.... drill 2 each 3/4" holes near the bottom of he MB door...

Last edited:
A year you say? I had some problems at about that same time frame. I fixed mine by taking a wir4e brush both inside and out and brought back to the metal. I couldn't understand it, some days it just would get an attitude.

Nephew gave me a small SS brush:

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/5138-44167

I taught him to use them on his golf clubs, he didn't realize I didn't golf anymore. But It worked great between it and the old standard BBQ grate brush.

I really couldn't see any major holes plugged in the AMPs, but I was bored. Its smoked like a champ ever since, only thing I can imagine is it might help heat transfer. Who knows, try it and let me know if it helpped I be interested in knowing.

BTW I had thought pellets, position in the MES, hunidity, vent position, fluid drips, etc etc.....

Last edited:
Thanks folks for the insights ... I'm working on the modifications.  We'll let you know what happens!

Rhino

Good luck,   You got all the right information to make it work every time

Gary

What about putting the mailbox air intake on the bottom of the box.  Place the amazen smoker over the holes to ensure enough air is passing by to keep them going?
westby That works and there are holes on the bottom already. Doing the front allows you to put a magnet over the hole to control air intake if needed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky