Amish White Sandwich Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roller

Smoking Guru
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 10, 2010
N.E. Louisiana
Here is the bread that I have been  making lately it is a great sandwich bread with lots of flavor.Give it a try you will like it.Ingredients
  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cups bread flour
[h3]Directions[/h3]
  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
  2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.
    9da578e1_1024011815.jpg

LOUISIANA AMISH !?!...Have to ask my neighbor Enid Stoltzfus...
biggrin.gif
...Nice job Roller!...JJ

No hard crust Al soft ...As I said its a sandwich bread...Yes there are several Amish familes in N. E. Louisiana and they have a very nice bakery not far from me.There are also Arkansas Amish...I usually make this bread once a week so when I make it this week I will take a sliced photo...That loaf is GONE !

Your all  very welcome and thank you for the kind words....I have a real nice Banana Nut Bread recipe that I will post with photos this week when I make it again..

Your all  very welcome and thank you for the kind words....I have a real nice Banana Nut Bread recipe that I will post with photos this week when I make it again..

Thanks Roller, I have one myself I need to bake soon.

I also have a great zucchini bread I need to post

Right on on the Zucchini bread....Raptor...I would like to have your recipe...

Roller, morning... How important is it to let the dough rise 1" above the bread pan on the final rise ??  Some of my bread collapses during the baking cycle... Sometimes I think making bread is an art form that requires genetic material to be passed from ones ancestors and if you didn't get it.... you're
head-wall.gif

Great looking bread Roller. I have my own personal breadmaker is Mrs Scar but as soon as I get the outdoor kitchen built I will be baking in my pizza oven and that looks great.

Dave I used to think the same thing but you just have to stick with it..This recipe will make a bread maker out of you..At least let it rise till it reaches level with the pan. if you let it rise 1" above you will get a really nice loaf...This recipe makes 2 loafs and usually they will bake different from each other and usually one of them is taller than the other. I will say this the more you nead it the better it seems to taste.Give it a try you are going to like it and if you do not succeed then try again until you do...

Mmmmm. That does look good and easy,Hmmmm ; I wonder if I could Smoke a loaf?  Flour and yeast are cheap,so Trish might not mind if I cause a loss of what would have good Bread
wife.gif

Thanks,Roller. I got it and will use it,with the Peanut butter I am hooked on,closest , easiest Protien I can afford...
icon_eek.gif

have fun and...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky