Already started smoking my butt but need help please.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't "need" to hold it for any certain amount of time. I thought that you rested it for a few hours because it helped with the moisture or let the juice settle or something like that. I guess resting it for more that an hour is really just if its done to early to serve??

I don't "need" to hold it for any certain amount of time. I thought that you rested it for a few hours because it helped with the moisture or let the juice settle or something like that. I guess resting it for more that an hour is really just if its done to early to serve??
Correct. 45min-1 hour is plenty of time for the juices to reabsorb.

Ok so here it is a 12hrs and the IT hit 165. I had my mind made up that I was gonna foil it at this temp but can't remember if I am supposed to add a little apple juice of something to the pan when I do. I am sure everyone has their own opinion on this so i would like to hear a few. I am not sure I want really thick dark bark so foiling has always been my plan.

So my 8lb butt finally hit 200 IT after 17hrs and 15min. I decided at the last minute to not foil it. It went the entire time on the rack unfoiled. I kept hearing guys so that the temp probe should slide in like butter when it done. I figured that was a figure of speech but it definitely not. It slid in with no resistance at all. The bone slid right out also. Again I have a few questions. Why is the meat two different colors? Piece on the right side of the picture is noticeably darker and a tad bit less moist. Second question is, what can I do to assure that it doesn't dry out to much when I reheat it? I am going to put it in the oven in a foil pan at 325. Should I make some of chef jimmy's foiling juice to add to it? I took out what juice I had in the pan and saved it in a jar to separate the fat but the entire think hardened. I just don't want it to dry out.

Here is the pic after it was done and right before I started pulling it. I had messy hands after pulling and forgot the pic. I'll take one today after reheating it.

You could have made the juice in your foil drip pan while you were cooking the pork. When you reheat it in the oven just put a little apple juice in the pan. This will prevent it from drying out. Don't put to much in or you'll get mush. It looks great and don't worry about the different colors that's probably just a combination of a hot-spot in your smoker and whatever rub you put on. Maybe more sugar on that side. Enjoy again looks great.

Chris

The butt looks Awesome!!!! I'm happy it all worked out for you and I'm glad you didn't foil, you have some Amazing looking bark there and I bet it is very tasty!!!

Butts are made up of different muscles so you will see different colors and different textures in the different parts of it. I'm sure you noticed different textures while pulling it.

In your second picture, the piece laying off to the right is my favorite part. It is a little denser and usually looks a little whiter than the rest.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky