All info greatly appreciated

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

desert smokin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 1, 2007
Phoenix, Az
Hi, I'm Jim and I'm located in Phoenix, Az. Just bought a GOSM and seasoned it today. In the process I noted some potential problems related to ambient air temp.
It was 100 degrees today and seasoning a smoker at 125 was impossible. The ambient in my smoker was 130 before seasoning. I think all went well. Had nice light smoke for the seasoning period. Now my question.
Has anyone put a needle valve on the outlet of the regulator to fine tune the flame. My concern is whether the regulator on the GOSM will be adversely affected if the needle valve puts back ppressure on the regulator.
All that and I ain't smoked a darn thing yet.

Welcome Jim -

Sounds like you won't need much fuel there, but cold smoking may be out of the question. You may need an icebox smoker that's still running! Guess your bigest problem will be keeping the heat down out there.

Being from New England I can understand fighting the cold in the winter but this hasn't even occured to me before. It almost sounds like you could just throw chips on the ground and smoke meat.

Welcome to SMF! Glad you are here.

I live in the northern part of New York State and have never had a problem keeping the temps in my GOSM down. You want to smoke most meats between 225F and 240F. I also find that the smoker temp will drop when you put cold meat in. If you find you can run it in this range without messing with the valve then all is good. When I seasoned mine here with the gas on low the smoker temps never went below 175F.

Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Welcome to the SMF
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome to SMF. I've seen regulators for turkey friers that have a temp controlled adjustments. Basically a thermostat with the probe on the end that goes into the frier. If you can find one, and if it goes low enough, maybe you could put it on your GOSM to keep temps low. I wish I knew the name of it, but check the Bass Pro website because I know thats where I saw it.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll start small and slow and try a chicken today. I'm sure I'lll have to find some way to further reduce the flame, but thats for another day.
Today is all about the chicken

Welcome to the forum. It is a pleasure seeing you here. I hope you will feel free at all times to share, ask questions, and draw from the knowledge found here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky