All beef sriracha snack sticks

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by crankybuzzard, Dec 11, 2015.

1. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

#2 son called in from Grandpa's place and said he wanted to try to make a snack stick with sriracha sauce in it, when he comes home on the 21st. The little turd is hanging out at the farm and loving life with my pop! Yeah, I'm jealous!

Well, I'm always up for a challenge, so on the way home, I bought a few things to try this out... Now, for the record, I'm going to PAY dearly for the 73/27 ground I picked up! Yeah, it's bad, but the recipe is on! I've only done patty tests, but the flavor is right where I wanted it!

I sat down and pondered what all should go in it, looked for sriracha sausage recipes on line, and realized I was on my own pretty much. So, I got busy! 8 patty fry tests later, I'm good!

All ingredients gathered

Ingredients mixed into wine

A little trick I do; I make a large meatball and use it to wipe out all of the seasonings and liquid from the mix bowl. Works well.

Mixed it all up, did a patty fry test (8 times), and then stuffed in 19mm casings.

Gonna let the links rest until tomorrow afternoon, then lightly smoke and cook to 152 IT.

Recipe:

Sriracha Sausage all Beef

INGREDIENTS
    3 lbs ground beef
    5 tablespoons sriracha
    62g white onion minced
    16g Money maker seasoned salt (something I get local)
    7g onion powder
    7g garlic powder
    3.4g cure #1
    2.5g ground black pepper
    .5g whole mustard seed
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
    1/2 cup red wine

Finished pics tomorrow, if the rain doesn't come in too soon....

crazymoon, tropics and wrwoelfel like this.
  2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I'm BURNING with desire to see the finish!

3. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

[​IMG]

4. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

[​IMG]

5. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Gonna be a few hours, at least , before I can start. Got called in to work for a water leak.

6. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

CB, Looking good ![​IMG]

7. crankybuzzard

Just got home from work, and it's raining off and on... Not sure if they'll get cooked today.

Guess I'll make some SS and cook all of it tomorrow together.

8. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

My popcorn is going stale..................[​IMG]

9. twoalpha

twoalpha Smoking Fanatic

I'm in [​IMG]

10. crankybuzzard

Mine too! Should be starting the pit soon. Down to a drizzle.

11. dirtsailor2003

Our rain came down in the form of white stuff that I now have to shovel a path to get to the smokers!

12. crankybuzzard

Screw the white stuff! 60 degrees here.

Got them on. Make shift cover for the Auber just in case.

The smell emanating from these things is great! Just hope using the 73/27 doesn't screw me too bad. The color looks good already, smoke should really do it!

13. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Dang it CB that looks like a great start,,,, I may have to try this one it look yummy 

DS 

14. crankybuzzard

Now, it's time for a good breakfast!

Tacos de barbacoa

And menudo!

15. dirtsailor2003

I'll have some tacos, but I'm going to pass on the wet sock stew!

16. crankybuzzard

I was weaned on that stuff! Not to mention, it's great on a Sunday morning, after a long night!

17. crankybuzzard

Sticks are done!

Just like I figured, the 73/27 makes them a bit greasy, but the flavor is almost what I want. A little tingle at the end from the sriracha, and the mustard seed makes for an interesting flavor addition.

Next batch I'll use a little pork butt and a leaner beef. I'll also add about half again the amount of sriracha.

This will be made when the boy comes for Christmas. If he ever leaves the farm!

oregon smoker likes this.
  18. CB,

[​IMG]

Now these to the Non Ending List of to do's..... Great post and work on the recipe.

Tom

19. crankybuzzard

Thanks for the points!

I think with a little tweaking, this will be a great snack stick! I'll post all trial and error for sure.

20. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

They look better now 

Richie