Aint she purdy?

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by billbo, Apr 21, 2009.

1. billbo

billbo Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Got my drum! Looks like I gotta get my butt over to lowes and get the hardware now! It is a brand new unlined barrell. I paid a bit for it but for me it's worth every penny. They don't take kindly to burnouts in my little village neighborhood[​IMG]

I might call her Emerald. I'll have to ask my kids to help name her too. I am downright giddy!

2. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Very cool can't wait to see the build pics

3. billbo

Wouldn't you know my good camera just bit the dust. I took that one on my cell phone. I need to buy a new camera fast. I could also use my son's Spiderman camera if need be.[​IMG]

4. ddave

ddave Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You better believe it. [​IMG]

While building a big fire can be fun, wire wheeling, brushing, crawling inside the drum and/or breathing the flying crap that the wirewheel makes kind of takes the "fun" out of it.

Nothing wrong with buying a new unlined one if that's what you want to do. No mystery about what was in it and no surprises later.[​IMG]

Have fun with the build.

Dave

5. cman95

cman95 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Good deal pill!!!! I will follow your build and learn.

6. jamesb

jamesb Smoking Fanatic

Your in the starting blocks now!

BTW: IMO, the best way to start is a new, unlined drum! Both of my UDSs started out that way... Well worth the few extra $s.

7. rivet

rivet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Emerald sounds like a good name! Nice looking drum. Got a real nice Canon 10 meg 4x zoom for 149 at wally world regular price.
    [​IMG]

8. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Several discontinued high quality cameras at your local RadioShack in the $79-$99 price range, 8-10 mpxls.

9. rickw

rickw Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice, if I were to do it all over I too would go with a new drum. Good start.

10. gaga

gaga Fire Starter

How you gonna incorporate those pretty, pink streamers?

11. billbo

They will hang off the handles on the side!

12. rickw

You're not done yet?

13. billbo

I wish Rick! I plan on attacking it this weekend though. My wife and daughter will be off at girl scout camp, so me and the boy will be doing manly type work. I need to figure out how I am going to do the charcoal basket. I want to weld it but I would be depending on a friend for this....

14. grothe

grothe Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Be sure to take pics and post your progress....[​IMG]

15. rickw

Welding would be nice but tie wire does a fine job also. That's what I used on both my baskets. Been using them for some time now with no problems.

16. billbo

Is this something I can get at Lowe's or HD?

17. rickw

18. big game cook

big game cook Smoking Fanatic

looks like a beaut. dont forget the finished pics.

19. ddave

ddave Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'm with Rick. No welding necessary.

Just get one 8" x 44" piece of expanded metal, wrap it around a propane tank to get the circle started and wire it together. Wire this to a 13.5" charcoal grate (replacement grate from a small Weber) add some 3-1/2" long bolts double-nutted to the grate for legs. You'll want the grate 3" off the bottom of the drum. Make a handle out of something if you want. You can even use wire for this. I used 1/4" rod but you'll need a vise to bend it.

Good luck with the build.

Dave

20. rickw

Hey Dave, you took my basket :) I used a 16" grate for mine but that's what I had lying around (free).