Ahhh apple wood smoked Bacon... been a long time since I made some

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boykjo

Renowned Sausage Maker
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Apr 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
dry rubbed with tender quick and brown sugar smoked with apple wood pellets from Todd. Took it to 145 IT... Smells great. In the fridge to bloom for a bit then slice soon

Thanks for looking

Boykjo

Reactions: disco and foamheart
Looks like you might know what you're doin'...JJ
icon14.gif

Nice job, Joe!

I like the color.

Do you ever cold smoke your bacon?

Al
No.  The reason is I feel better taking the bacon to a safe temp of 152 as i am not the only one who is going to eat it. Call it "piece of mind"  I start the smoker at about 140 and bump up 10 degrees every hr until I reach 180 then I take the bacon to 152 just about like sausage........ This bacon got about 6 hrs of light smoke. I dont want the smoke flavor to be too much.

The bacon cured for 10 days

Thanks everyone

will post some more pics here soon

Joe

Last edited:

No.  The reason is I feel better taking the bacon to a safe temp of 152 as i am not the only one who is going to eat it. Call it "piece of mind"  I start the smoker at about 140 and bump up 10 degrees every hr until I reach 180 then I take the bacon to 152 just about like sausage........ This bacon got about 6 hrs of light smoke. I dont want the smoke flavor to be too much.

Thanks everyone

Joe
That's what I do with my BBB, but I stop between 145° and 150°.

I think Pops does Belly Bacon like that too, for the same reasons as yours.
icon14.gif

I'll be back for the Slices pics---I love looking at sliced Bacon, but Smelling it & Eating it is better!!

Bear

Thanks everyone

Joe
I don't understand Joe. Are you worried that someone will eat the bacon without cooking it first?

Al

Nice looking bacon! I have taken to safe level and less. I don't notice a lot of difference in the final result but I don't do it anymore just because I'm lazy, I just smoke it until it has enough smoke for me.

Disco

Nice looking bacon! I have taken to safe level and less. I don't notice a lot of difference in the final result but I don't do it anymore just because I'm lazy, I just smoke it until it has enough smoke for me.

Disco
Thanks disco...........It helps stiffin the bacon up a little too

Joe

Great job on the Bacon.  I wish I could get bellies at a reasonable price around here.     
points1.png

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky