"acurite" digiprobe thermomenter check

Discussion in 'Meat Thermometers' started by tasunkawitko, Jun 6, 2009.

1. tasunkawitko

tasunkawitko Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i got this at wal-mart for a little under 15$ and it seems ok for what i plan on doing with it. one probe with a wire running from probe to thermometer. i may get a second one buf now this is good.

anyway, i tested it with an ice slurry and the temp i got was 32.4 degrees. i figured that's the ebst i could do with wet ice and then got a pot of boiling water going.

here's where things got a little ambiguous. the water was boiling at a very good roll, and the highest i could get it to was 207.8 - for a brief moment it was at 207.9, but not long enough to call it anything solid. this had me worried that the thermometer is at least 4 degrees off, but maybe altitude plays a factor?

the elevation of the town i live in is at 2428 feet - any ideas or conversion formulas?

2. rivet

rivet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Your thermometer looks as if it is working right on! Just to make sure (I'm that way) I did a bit of research and confirmed my thoughts. Here's a link that will help you, Tas. It's from a Ph.D out of St.Paul, MN

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Calib-boil.html

He's got calculation tables there too.

Hope this helps you !

3. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

4. tasunkawitko

tasunkawitko Master of the Pit OTBS Member

dang guys - looks to be perfect!

thanks!