About ready to attempt this smoking thing!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snoova110

Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Central Illinois
Hi everyone.

OK, thanks to some advice on this page I have my smoker seasoned.  Now I'm ready for the next step... actually cooking something in it.  Can anyone steer me in the correct direction please?  I have a 6 pound pork butt and I'm using a Char-griller with the sidebox.

What can you do to prepare the meat and what temp should the grill be at when I put it in?

Is it ok to jest use Kingford charcoal.  That's what I have.  Is there something better to use in the future?

Also... how long do you cook it?

Can you tell I'm really new at this?  Ha ha!

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

Snoova

Snoova

To prepair the meat you can use a rub to add flavor. You can use EVOO or Mustard for a glue to hold it.

If you are using a sugar based rub. You need to stay below 250°. If not sugar based you can go higher Say 275 ° I try to stay in the 225° to 240° range.

Kingsford will work great. If you have some wood chunks or chips throw them in. I prefer chunks to chips.

You will need a good thermomter so you will know when it is done. for pulled you will want IT of 200° to 205°.

After you remove from smoker. Wrap in foil. then wrap with a towel or 2. Place in ice chest to rest. Then go to pulling and enjoy/

expect for it to take about 1.5 hours per pound. expect it to hit 150° or so and stall. It may stall for hours. Don't worry. That is normal. Keep the door closed It will cook with out you looking.

Remember to post a Qview.

Happy smoken.

David

Hi Snoova!

David's got you all squared away...don't stress too much, a pork butt is a real forgiving piece of meat and pretty hard to mess it up.  Kingsford charcoal is fine...I don't cook on a charcoal pit any more, but when I did I preferred lump charcoal.  IMO it burns hotter and longer than briquettes.  I like to smoke butts at about 250*.  Like David said, any higher can burn your rub.  Concentrate more on cooking to an internal temperature rather than on time.  Every butt seems to have a mind of its own and will get done in its own time.  Also, you'll reach a point in the cook when you'll think your thermometer is broken or you're doing something wrong:  the IT of the butt will stall out and stop going up, maybe for as long as several hours.  This is normal so don't panic.  You can decrease the stall by foiling the butt when IT reaches around 160*, or you can just wait it out with no foil, which makes a much nicer bark on the finished product.

Good luck, ask more questions when you need to, and don't forget to show and tell us how it turns out!

Red

Thanks for the great info!!!  Here's another one for you...  What is the best way to control the temp?  The chimney or the side vent?  I got it up to 300....

Thanks,

Snoova

Thanks for the great info!!!  Here's another one for you...  What is the best way to control the temp?  The chimney or the side vent?  I got it up to 300....

Thanks,

Snoova
I'm a watt burner but read a lot on side boxes. Most leave stack wide open to allow bad smoke out & adjust temps by vent control. Minor adjustments and monitor results for future reference. Take notes....here's some quick help hopefully for ya. Use the search to look for threads that will help you....many will pop up with pics and loads of info you......Willie http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/144799/need-temp-control-help-for-this-type-pf-smoker

I have almost the same smoker. I use smoking records, so I can track what happens during the smoke , ie: fuel type, smoke wood, humidity, all temperatures and results. So far it has worked for me.

Thanks,

Snoova
Don't you just love how helpful everyone is! It's awesome!!!

One thing I figured out on my last smoke... I started to lose temp after about hour 3 even though I kept adding coals and the side vent was wide open, finally I noticed that the fine ash had fallen under the grate so the ash had restricted most of the airflow under the coals. I scooped some of it out and instantly heat rose significantly. So if it feels like you are adding lots of coals and the temps aren't rising, check to make sure their is airflow under the coals as well. Blessed smoking brother!

Awesome!  Thanks everyone!  This info has been a lot of help!  I have the meat cooking now.  Got the temp down to 200-250 finally... but accidentally let it slip down to 150 for awhile.  I got it back up now.

Once I take it out... how long does it need to set?

Thanks,

Snoova

Hey everyone! 

Just wanted to drop a quick note and say thanks for all the help!  There were some bumps in the road here and there, but for a first time, it wasn't too bad.  Once I got the hang of controlling the temp with the side damper, things went more smooth.  The whole family liked the meat for lunch the next day!

Thanks again, I really appreciated it!

Snoova

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky