A Stuffy and Smoky Vacation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fireguy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Husker Country
Well. I have been stuffing and Smoking My Vacation AWay.
I started Stuffing on Mon, Started Smoking Yesterday, and what seems to be an endless journey, is slowly coming to an end. 2 days of stuffing, 3 Days of smoking = 140 #s of sausage ( before smoked) that will be in the freezer by Sat Morn, if Its the last thing I do.
eek.gif

Just thought I would Drop some pics of my progress, thus far..

15 #s of Summer, 30 # of Summer with Cheese and Jalapenoes, and 15 #s teriyaki Sticks... So far so good... In smoker now is 10#s hot Sticks and 25 #s of Sante Fe, and Finally in the mourning will be 45#s of Hot sticks with Jalapenoes and Cheese.

It is also so cold and windy I have had to Strap my smoker shut to keep the heat in.

Ill post pics as I finish each Batch

Here is a pic of the Santa Fe and the Hot Sticks, I just pulled out moments ago. I cant believe everything is going so well!!! It seems like there is usually a hitch somewhere in my smoking excursions.

Rich, I do believe that was a "Freudian Slip", thanks for pointing it out to me.

Lets just say, I might have bit off more than I Can Chew...

Any Way, Ill Up date after My Adventures tommarow... As for now I think It is Miller Time..
icon_mrgreen.gif

Heck, Im having so much fun, I think I might Try smoking some country style ribs Sat for the inlaws. I have never attempted them, But it sounds great.

http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);

Nice looking stuff...
How much cheese did you add to the SS... I will be ordering some
high temp cheese soon and will be adding it to my next 15lb batch of SS.

Thanks...

Seaham,

I used 10% in my SS and Sticks, I bought Hightemp pep jack from butcher packer, I thought it was pricey but it is worth it... The same with the Jalapenoes, 10 %.

Great looking products Fireguy! I'm envious, I've got smoking to do, but it's calving season here for us and time is in short supply. I've got a homebuilt refer smoker, and really like seeing how others have done theirs. Keep the pics coming.

minnbill,

Santa Fe is a sausage seasoning that sausage makers puts out. It has a blend of garlic, onions, cilantro, peppers in it. this is the first time I have used it. In my test batch a few weeks ago, I found it to have a mild flavor, so this batch I have added a bit more seasoning. It is a bit stronger, but still a mild mex flavor, I guess I like it overall, but not my Fav...

Yeah, I know what you are thinking, but this is pretty much the traditional time frame for this for a couple of reasons. First, in theory anyway, the dry cold of this time of winter is supposed to be easier, healthwise than the wet cold of late winter or even spring. However, it makes for some damn cold, long days and nights, and often isn't all that dry (so much for that theory). Second, typical shipping delivery season is about the end of Sept. first of Oct. (often to Iowa
icon_smile.gif
), buyers want fall calves that weigh 600-700 lbs or thereabouts. It takes this long to get them to that point. Other times of the year also seem to be filled with spring seeding, irrigation (where thats done), haying, or grain harvest. So that leaves this time of year. All that being said, many around here are reconsidering this and are pushing their calving season back to later spring or nearly summer and doing ok with that. I have to confess I could easily be convinced. Especially, when I'm thawing a newborn calf out at -20 deg. 3:00 in the morning.

Ranching is kind of a second job for me. The family place is too big for just my dad, too small for me also, so I have a fulltime job, then head out nights and weekends to provide a little relief to my 70 year old dad.

Fireguy, didn't mean to hijack with my reply here.

Well, I am officially done with my Sausage mania.
I am a bit disapointed in the results from yesterday.
It seemed like I just couldnt get things right.
Oh well My misfortunes from my last day of smoking taught me many valuable lessons, at the price of a little wasted meat.

On a good note I am trying my first Country style ribs in the smoker today. I will post that experiance if it turns out weel (fingers crossed)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky