A non smoked French Dip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vlap

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 17, 2007
Bradenton, Florida
After seeing some great threads on these sandwiches I remembered a post I did long before I joined smf. I wonder how I can work smoked meat into it... hmmm... For someone who is working and unable to be near a smoker all day this is a great way to make a french dip. I promise you won't be disappointed! Here it is as was written many months ago.

Well this morning I woke up with 2 unexplainable words in my mind. FRENCH DIP!
Why they were there I just don't know. I usually don't order it at the restaurants. Why? Well It comes on soft bread, with little taste and with a weak flavored "au jus".
What good is that. Well I got up out of bed and started trying to figure out how to make it better. I looked and looked for a good recipe. None really appealed to me, but, a few had things to it I liked. Well after some thought I finally combined 3 different recipes into one. At the store I found some hard crusty rolls. Now the beef is in the crockpot.
Also I just couldn't think of what spread to put on the rolls. A good mustard you would think. Well so did I! I found a good recipe for that as well and now have a nice homemade spicy garlic mustard resting in the fridge!

The mustard!

Hot Mustard Sauce

4 Tablespoons dry mustard powder
1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons flat beer
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 Tablespoon olive oil (optional)

Whisk together dry mustard, vinegar and beer. Use a garlic press or a large pair of pliers to squeeze the juice from the clove of garlic into the mixture. Stir in sugar, salt and turmeric. To make smoother and less hot, add olive oil to taste.

French Dip Sandwiches

* 1 lean beef roast (3 to 4 lbs.), rump, lean chuck, etc.
* 1/2 c. soy sauce
* 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup, undiluted
* 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed beef consomme, undiluted
* 1 (12 ounce) bottle of dark beer (negro modelo very good)
* 1 pkg. italian dressing mix (dry)
* 2 bay leaf
* 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper or pepper blend
* 1 tsp. dried crushed rosemary
* 1 tsp. dried thyme
* 1 tsp. garlic powder
* Onion, sliced thin
* 6 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
* Hard rolls (A good hard crusty bread is needed)

Place roast in crock-pot. Mix next 12 ingredients and pour over meat. Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours. Remove roast and shred "pull" with 2 forks. Reserve juice for serving. Slice meat thinly or pull apart. Pile meat on buns with optional veggies and cover with cheese (swiss or provolone if wanted) Serve on plate with cup of juice for dipping.

Best French Dips EVER!
The homemade mustard added the right kick to it.

I've gotta try this Vlap...looks awesome!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks for posting, that looks like an excellent recipe especially during those cold winter days and football is on. I'll certainly give it a try.

A great thing about it is the ease of cooking. Put it all in the crockpot in the morning and when you get back from doing whatever its ready. The meat will be falling apart and the juices from what you added will have turned into an incredible au jus. All you have to do is pull the beef and get ready to eat. Takes minutes to prep and takes care of itself all day without you.

I like that idea. That would allow you to get your smoke flavor in there as well...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky