A New Batch

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by nepas, Oct 10, 2016.

1. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

5 lbs for some sticks.

Will let you know what mix after they are done and i have tasted. Cure added, mixed and now in the fridge overnight. Got some 15mm collagen being conditioned in the fridge also.

2. smokeymose

smokeymose Master of the Pit

Looks pretty, nepas. I'm tuned in...

Dan

3. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks

My wife came back in after her walk, said oh something smells good. Maybe thats a good sign.

The meat is 80/20 GB. The stick mix is whats new for me.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  4. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Watching. How do you condition collegen casings

5. nepas

Open the bag of collagen and fridge them, this will get the collagen to pick up a tad of moisture.

Huh? I thought you could not get collagen wet? Dont always believe what the experts in some book tell you.

6. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I'm in!

[​IMG]

Al

7. gearjammer

gearjammer Master of the Pit

Me too.

I'm ready for some snack sticks.

Ed

8. nepas

Got up at 3am to get these stuffed, damn if i dint fall asleep in the recliner.

Got the meat out, did a quick hand mix and started stuffing. 

Ready for the smoker. Going with hickory at 140*

BBL

9. mike w

mike w Smoking Fanatic

Those look great! Thanks for the tip on the collagen also.

10. casmurf

casmurf Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

​They look great. How did you close the ends of the sticks? It almost looks like they were Vac sealed??? I have never seen sticks that were closed like that I usually use twine.

11. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Tasty looking sticks! Was just informed that we have some venison heading our way for stick making!

12. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looking good as always!

C'mon money shot!

13. nepas

I normally tie, i just pinched the ends together this time

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  14. nepas

Amazn tube works great in TSM Smoker

All cooled and ready for brown bag and fridge.

15. smokeymose

smokeymose Master of the Pit

All I read is not to soak them. I run them real quick under the faucet before slipping onto the horn, and if they start to stick to the horn while stuffing I give it a spritz of water.
    Nice sausage as always, nepas. So, when are you going to taste and tell us about your mix? ☺️

16. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Ground meat in collagen makes for a good "glue".

17. crankybuzzard

[​IMG]

18. nepas

Patience there grasshopper [​IMG]

19. nepas

Ok so here is the mix i used.

Compared to LEM, TSM & HM It blows them both away.

Its right up there with Owens BBQ, AC LEGG, PS Seasoning, HI Country.

$$ Shots

Back in the brown bag and fridge, vac seal later.

20. gearjammer

gearjammer Master of the Pit

Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

I got to make me some of them.

Great looking sticks, I'll bet they are delicious.

Nice job Sir.

Ed