A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker Review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

j3ff

Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
I am new to cold smoking.  I have been into barbecue for over 10 years, and I cook some decent stuff on a DPP 60.

When searching for a cold smoke generator I came across among other things the saw dust variant of the smoker I am reviewing.  I called the company up, a guy named Todd answered. (nice to be able to speak with the owner when you call) I explained my needs to him and the size chamber I wanted to fill with smoke. He recommended a product he did not yet at the time have on his website, it's very similar to his others, but it uses pellets.   He told me that he thought that one unit would be enough if lit from both ends to produce enough smoke for my size chamber.  He also asked me to send pics of my pit.  I did so and he quickly responded that two units may be needed.  Me being a glutton asked him to send me 3 just in case.  I am a typical American, if one can do it and two may be needed, three will get it done just right :)

I asked this on a Saturday night.   Sunday night I sent him the $$ he requested via paypall, and before I woke up on Monday he had shipped it out and had sent me a tracking number.  Granted, I am a late sleeper so this may or may not be impressive, but less than 12 hours from payment to shipping impressed the hell out of me.

A couple days later I receive the box and I am excited to unwrap my new toy. Upon opening I am impressed by the weight of the thing - it's tiny in size, yet has a good heft to it.   Feeling it you can tell it was built to last.  It's not bullet proof by any stretch, but I can not fathom a situation it could ever be in that would damage it.  I could tell right away it would take me many years to break this thing, I am hard on stuff, my father once said to me "Boy, you could tear up ball bearings"

Of course I could not wait to play with it, so I ran outside and loaded it with pellets.  I hit it with my mapp gas torch for 10-20 seconds to get the pellets lit, and after 2-3 minutes of letting pellets burn, I blew them out and let her rip.  One unit pours out a ton of beautiful blue smoke, when I walk outside, the whole backyard smells great!!!  It also makes that smoke for a long time. He claims 11 hours, but he says that humidity plays a part.  I live in a very humid area (southwest VA) and I was not able to get a full 11 hours.  I clocked in at just a hair under 10 hours.  I am more than happy with this. It's about as "set and forget" as I can imagine. 

So far I have used it for cheese, various nuts, hard boiled eggs, and salt.  I was supposed to pick up 30 pounds of pork belly for bacon today, but my butchers order did not go as planned and I am now picking it up on friday.  I can not wait to see how bacon turns out using this. 

Over all I can not say enough on how happy I am with my purchase, and the service I received.  When I called Todd, this product was not available on his website.  He told me that I could buy it and if I had any issues at all to send it back for a refund.  About an hour ago I sent him an email that in part said "Keep the money, there is no way in hell I am sending this back to you" 

I have not bothered to take pics yet, as everything I have done so far is mostly playing with it.  In a week or so I will do a detailed thread on the bacon I am making.  I will update that with pics hourly on how far the pellets have burned in it, and just how much smoke it gives off. 

Great revivew J3ff.  You are going to love using those units.  

Hey Jeff!

Thanks for the great review!

When Jeff sent me a pic of his smoker, I knew this would S-T-R-E-T-C-H the limits of my new pellet smoker.

Well, you never know unless you try...Right?

I woke up this morning to an awesome email from Jeff and it made my day!!!

Here's a pic of Jeff's smoker he sent me

794ff3c4_img_1289.jpg

Todd

*taps foot impatiently waiting for Todd to get pellet smoker on site for purchase*
biggrin.gif

Hard to go wrong buyin a product from Todd.

Great review Jeff and a nice looking smoker you got there...

Darn!  I was hoping he would say something bad about it?  Now, continue with dust?  Switch to pellets? Both?  Decisions!

Good luck and good smoking.

Darn!  I was hoping he would say something bad about it?  Now, continue with dust?  Switch to pellets? Both?  Decisions!

With the new smoker you can use both dust and pellets 

That's Great Jeff !!!

Thanks for the report & Welcome to SMF !!!

It's a good thing Todd doesn't have to pay people to come on here & say good things about his products.

He'd never get ahead !!!!!

If he had to pay a penny for every positive comment about his AMNS, his AMNPS or his great service, he'd have to take out a second mortgage !!!

Bear

Great review.  And that's some smoker you have there!

Mine just arrived today.  I can't wait to put it to use!  The weather here in Ohio is supposed to be good this weekend.  I'm going to smoke up a storm with my new AMPS!  Qview to come.....

Todd had asked me via email ealier how many it took to fill my pit with smoke, and if I had any pics.  I told him I had not yet tried it in my big pit as all I have done with it so far is a few piddling test burns.  I wanted to get a feel for the product before I tossed 500+ dollars worth of cheese, sausage, or bacon into my pit. 

Tonight I went and did a test burn with no food with two, and then three of the units in there.  Two was enough, three was great.  (only lit at one end)  One would be plenty if lit at both ends and in the middle.  Granted you sacrifice burn time if only using one and lighting 3 ways....

I really wish these pics did it justice, I took a ton and in each one the pics do not show how much smoke there is actualy there.  My camera on my droid phone is good, but not as good as a real camera.  Some of the pics show 2 units running, some show 3 units running. 

b5c49189_IMAG0100.jpg

91f86f5a_IMAG0089.jpg

97347552_IMAG0099.jpg

1c991a45_IMAG0095.jpg

5fd49874_IMAG0093.jpg

Last edited:
To put things into perspective - those exhaust stacks are 6 inch stacks meant for a tractor trailer.  There is way more than enough smokey goodness inside if those big things look like that.  When I make barbecue in there, there is barely any visible smoke at all. 

That does look like a lot of smoke, but the proof will be in the meat.

You are right - and sadly I have to wait a little longer on that now too.... I was supposed to get a couple pork bellies on Wednesday I had my butcher order.  They did not come in, and then he was supposed to get them tomorrow.  Today I got a call that the distributor would not make another delivery until next Wednesday, and after that there is a week of cure time.  GRRRRRR For some reason the universe does not seem to want me to have bacony goodness!!!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky