A good weekend smoke.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vlap

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 17, 2007
Bradenton, Florida
Well I was in the mood for a smoke and since noone was available for a day of smoking I headed over to the parents sunday morning with a brined and rubbed turkey and a nice big fattie.

It all started sat afternoon with the turkey going into the brine.

My brine:
2g Water
1 1/2lb Salt
1c Sugar
2t Bayleaf
2t Dry Thyme
2t Peppercorns
2t Juniper Berried
2t Basil (Dry)
2t Ginger (Dry)
2t Marjoram (Dry)
2t Sage
Boil ingredients for 3 min and cool. Brine turkey for 24 hours.

After the turkey went into the brine, I mixed my sausage and beef rolled it flat and added my stuffings. Cheddar, onion, green pepper and tomatoes.

Rolled the fattie up and coated it with mustard and Jeff's rub.

The next day prior to heading to the parents I removed the turkey from the brine and gave it a good rub. (Jeff's rub once again)

Once the coals got nice and hot I added the wonderful orange that fudley was nice enough to give me. Thanks again Bud that smoke has a wonderful scent and great flavor.

Once temp was achieved I got the turkey and fattie into the smoker and sat back for a day of football, frosty beverages and smoke.

Once the fattie was cooked, it was pulled and went into a warm oven to wait for the turkey.

Turkey was done a while later and was looking good!

The sliced fattie.

Got the turkey sliced and it was wonderful. A great taste and incredibly juicy. Cant wait to do it again.

I will stop here and thank scotty. The homemade wine he brought to the smokeout was wonderful and we all enjoyed a glass with the meal.

Once again a great meal shared with the family.

I hope this post breaks you all out of your back to work monday blues and gets you thinking of this weekends smoke. I found some brisket for $2.20/lb.
I think I know what the next smoke will be.

Nothing better than family, football and homemade wine!! Everything looks awesome Vlap!! Im gonna do a turkey for thankgiving, I just copied your brine recipe too.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Ohhh Lambic, eh? Once it a great while I get a hankerin' for that stuff. I've often wondered about it in a mop in place of the vinegar...Hmmm

I would guess around 3lb. 1lb each ground beef and sausage. Then the fillings had to be close to another lb.

Rich for the price of a lambic I would have a very hard time using it as a mop. I sure do love a glass of it every now and then.

Nods... I have some belgian quadbock here...LaTrappe trappist ale. 4 and change a bottle...but OMG! I am gonna have to do at least one slab with it one day.

Maybe you get it cheaper than me but I paid $10 for the bottle. I almost got a 4 pack of Maudite for $10 but went with something I knew the family would enjoy rather than just me.

Wow... Hmm strawberry lambic...been a couple years... but I seem to recall was like 7... the Quad is a 330Ml bottle-like 11 Oz. and comes in 3 packs. But for a barfight..that's the bottle ya want. Drive nails with that sucker!

Man Vlap, thats a great lookin smoke, just a question on your stuffed Fatty, I've only done plain ones but I check the temp on them, how do you check the temp on a stuffed one or do you just go on time

I just checked the middle to make sure the stuffing was up to temp. I figured if it was a certain temp the meat around it had to be that temp or hotter.

NICE vlap........good looking grub........was that a whole turkey, or just a breast?
that fatty is to die for........doing one this weekend.........YUM.........

once again.......great job.....

d8de

The breast I bought was basically a turkey with its wings and legs cut off. I had thought before when you bought a turkey breast it was an entire breast removed from the turkey.

I was very pleased with the results and will definitely be doing this again for Thanksgiving.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky