8LBS Brisket Flat

Discussion in 'Beef' started by eth555, Apr 6, 2012.

1. eth555

eth555 Newbie

Well second smoke on my WSM, a brisket flat from Sam's.  Started WSM last night around 7pm, and put brisket on at 8pm.  Pulled this morning at 8am with internal temp of 192F; turned out fantastic.  I used cherry and mesquite wood chunks and did not foil, just let her run.  This was one of the best tasting smokes I have done.  I was really nervous about it being too dry but it turned out great.  I used sand in the water pan this time instead of water this time; but I seemed to have problems holding temp.  It peaked at 300F at about 1am, I had all the bottom vents closed and ended up turning the top vent partially closed.  I was hoping to keep it around 225F, but it still turned out good.  I am wondering if I did not start out with too many lit coals, I used about 3/4 of a chimney of lit?  But the WSM ran all night and still have coals left over this morning.  Thanks for looking!  

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks like it turned out awesome!

3. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks like it turned out great - congrats 

4. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

looks tasty to me!!

5. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks good , and a good Smoke ring too... isn't it nice to have good Bark ?

Yes , less fuel to start, you can always add more.

6. eth555

eth555 Newbie

It great to have good bark.  I used the smokenator in a Weber kettle before, which stuff turned out good, but never got good bark; the WSM has exceeded my expectations.  I will use less fuel to start next time.