7lbs Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bugger

Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Just picked up a 7.5 Boston Butt that I plan on smoking this Saturday.  Does anyone have have a good suggestion on marinade and rub? The last time I smoked a 4lbs butt, it came out sweet.  I marinaded for about 12hours in worcester sauce (sp) and apple juice.  Then made a rub that consist of mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, season all, chili powder, brown sugar and some other spices that I cant recall.  It had good flavor just a little too sweet.  Did I over do it with the marinade and rub?  

How long should I expect to smoke this bad boy?  I thought about possible starting Friday night, but I am hesitant about going to sleep while it's smoking.  Any tips for that?

I appreciate your help!

No two pieces of meat will take the same amount of time that's why we use thermometers but with that said if your smoking at 225 degrees figure about 1.5 hours per lb. Personally I use Jeff's rub or a slightly modified version of it.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

I agree with Jerry Jeff's rub is really good one. But their are some really good ones in wiki also.

I either marinate or rub, usually never do both at the same time for the very reason of it being too sweet.  I typically just use my 'usual' rub that consists of kosher salt, turbinado sugar (not as sweet as brown sugar), chili powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, dry mustard, cumin, fresh cracked black pepper, garlic and onion powder (all to taste with the salt and sugar being the bulk of the rub) then slather the meat with yellow prepared mustard and then hit it with the rub.

As for smoking time, I usually figure 1 to 1.5 hours per pound, but...I don't smoke for time but to temperature allowing myself that much time for the process.  Odd thing is, if I ever start early the meat is always done early with very little plateau but if I start late, it'll be the next day before we can eat! 
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
  I smoke to 165 then foil and continue on until it reaches 205 and then pull.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Mac

Last edited:
The last few I have done I rubbed and injected with some Capt Morgan and Apple with some of the rub mixed in and they were mighty tasty

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky