70 Lbs of Belly Bacon Extra Smokey - QVIEW

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by hoity toit, Apr 21, 2016.

1. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I scored 2 cases (65-70 lbs)  of green pork belly "rind off" at Restaurant Depot in San Antonio last week for like $2.29 lb, and have had them curing for 7 days with tender quick on a dry cure. Tomorrow is a soak and rinse thing for 3-4hours then season up with pepper, onion powder, and garlic of course. and let chill out over night. I have never attempted this much poundage before., and told my buddies helping that the hardest part is the slicing and vac-sealing. There WILL be plenty of pictures to follow starting Sat. when they go in the smoke. I think all toll I have 18 belly chunks to fit in the old wooden smoke house. Y'all bring the bier & Follow me on this one.

HT

disco likes this.
  2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That's a load! I've done 40 pounds and that was a chore!

3. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

dang it HT that is going to be nice,,, so how much garlic (powder/salt/or fresh?)  and onion powder do you use per lb of bacon??? I have two bellies out right no thawing for curing this weekend. 

Your smoker is going to be very full!!!!   

DS 

4. I'm in   [​IMG]    If it wasn't so far I'd come and help

Gary

5. halfsmoked

halfsmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]   [​IMG] lets see the q - view O and cured bacon can be shipped need my address?

6. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Sounds like a great weekend!

[​IMG]

Al

7. bena

bena Meat Mopper

Grabbing the Mini Keg!.. I have 57 started and look forward to seeing if the larger mass makes a difference in smoke time!

8. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Who weee  I'll be down in 2 hours. b

9. You need to stop by and pick me up 

Gary

10. hoity toit

OK - Q - VIEW of todays smoke. After a 7 day cure, the bellys were rinsed and soaked several times for a couple hours then they were patted dry & seasoned and rubbed with a little onion powder, a little granulated garlic, cracked pepper, and on a couple I did with Tones 9 pepper blend on one side, and some Louisiana cajun seasoning on the other side. We also left 3 of the plain jane. Going to rolling some some in a coulpe hours when day breaks and my pellets dry. I have them in the small MES drying right now. I will be using my big wooden smokehouse for this load. My smoke will be corn cob pellets and hickory.I will use 2 Ama-z-n trays & 1 Ama-z-n Tube on the initial heavy smudge. Here are the before pics from last night. 

--------

More as it happens...thanks for looking, gonna be a busy morning here in New Braunfels.

Here are some more of them in the smoke.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    bdskelly likes this.
  11. That is an awesome display of baconage. Hope the wife didn't get too mad when you stole all the shower curtain hooks out of the bathroom. [​IMG]

12. hoity toit

She got them for me at a Dollar Store..:)

13. hoity toit

They are in the cob smoke now

14. Looking Good,  I thought I saw the one with my name on about in the middle.

Gary

15. hoity toit

It is on the left, 2nd one over.

16. Great   Looks good to me

Gary

17. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looking Real Good, HT !!![​IMG]

"Bacon Extra Smoky" sounds familiar!![​IMG]

I gotta come back to see the sliced Bacon Pics---That's my Favorite View!!!

[​IMG]

Bear

18. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

This is the best use of a garage space that I have ever seen! b

19. hoity toit

It ought to be good, it's your method.., sliced pics come tomorrow late afternoon or night. This is crazy.

HT

20. hoity toit

Lucky I have 2 garages, the detached one is my smoke/meat facility..and it has A/c for the summer months and hot water I just added for cleanup purposes.