61 years old and still don't know any better

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
I didn't know what category to put this in:

It's not really a joke, so I didn't put it in "Jokes".

I was grilling chicken thighs when it happened, so I figured I'd put it in "Grilling Chicken".

Maybe it should be a "Poll"???

If it was a Poll, the question would go something like this:

How many of you have ever been grilling Chicken (or any other kind of meat), and during the process of flipping a piece over, the skin got stuck to the grill. I couldn't get a good grip on it with the tongs, and it was beginning to fall through the grill toward the coals. My only chance to save my favorite part of the Chicken (the crispy grilled skin) was to grab it & throw it on the plate. I'm not as quick as I used to be, so I burnt my big fat thumb!
icon_cry.gif

The skin, however, was saved & it tasted GREAT!

I'll bet that happened to at least 80 % of members of this forum, whether they admit it or not!

Bearcarver

LOL... the section that goes under would be headed "Dedication!"

.... and yes I did that just last night grilling some Jerk Teriyaki Turkey Burgers, lol. Went to flip them over and about 1/2 of the perfectly grilled top of one of them stuck to the grill. Couldn't get it up with the tongs, so went with the fingers.... * note to self: heat hurts *
icon_cry.gif

Been there done that!

Here's one for you.

Years ago I decided to make escargots for lunch. Stuck em in the fry pan and put em in the oven to broil. When they were done, I put the oven mitt on and took the pan out of the oven and put it on the stove top. I took off the mitt and did something else for a second. Turned around and grabbed the pan handle with my bare hand. Talk about crispy skin on my thumb, two fingers and the palm of my hand. Of course I ate them before I went to the doctor.
biggrin.gif

He thought it was quite funny when I explained how I did what I did!

"Hold my sign while I turn this chicken"

I have made this mistake more than once. Heck, I picked up my dutch oven by the wire handle with a bare hand while I was camping. I took the pain until I could set it back down without spilling my chilli. Still have the scars on three fingers.

My wife got me one of those "as seen on tv" ove-gloves for Cristmas a few years back. I keep the thing on my left hand at all times when grilling or using my side burner or any skillet, pan, pot, beercan chicken thingy, or skewers (ss type). It has saved my skin a few times...

Yep!  I grabbed a baking sheet with my bare hand to stop it from sliding out of the oven with a pecan pie on it.  That one hurt!  
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

I guess in a food emergency, your instincts to "save" kick in, and the ones that might yell "save yourself" somehow get drowned out.  :D

cool.gif

It only goes to show you that "When Your Dumb You Have To Be Tough" How come everythime I need something in the smoker or oven and sometimes the stove top. I grab it wih my bare hands. It's really hot then and then I do it again. The wife bought me an Ove-glove thing too. I look at it alot after I'm swearing that it hot and not to be touched by stupid dumb azz fat guys. Now I have a few years till I get to your age I'm only 52. So I have more of this to come ohh boy.

Last edited:
I do it all the time, enough that I have built up a little bit of a tolerance to it, to a point. lol

So, "The skin, however, was saved & it tasted GREAT!"  is that the skin from your, "big fat thumb" or the chicken?  lol

I didn't know what category to put this in:

It's not really a joke, so I didn't put it in "Jokes".

I was grilling chicken thighs when it happened, so I figured I'd put it in "Grilling Chicken".

Maybe it should be a "Poll"???

If it was a Poll, the question would go something like this:

How many of you have ever been grilling Chicken (or any other kind of meat), and during the process of flipping a piece over, the skin got stuck to the grill. I couldn't get a good grip on it with the tongs, and it was beginning to fall through the grill toward the coals. My only chance to save my favorite part of the Chicken (the crispy grilled skin) was to grab it & throw it on the plate. I'm not as quick as I used to be, so I burnt my big fat thumb!
icon_cry.gif

The skin, however, was saved & it tasted GREAT!

I'll bet that happened to at least 80 % of members of this forum, whether they admit it or not!

Bearcarver

Bearcarver is a "Thumbsucker"?

Now that's a visual I really don't want to see!!!

Todd

Yes been caught by the Stupid impulse many times, heck every time I make wings or fry stuff I have blotches all over my hand and forearm have even dipped the fingers in the 400 degree oil once or twice while putting things in the oil.

Guilty as well.

But whats really funny is when you grab something outta the smoker thats actually to hot to hang on to and instead of dropping it, you pass it off to your cooking partner. He wont drop it cause he wont want it to be his fault, watch out tho, he may pass it back. Just be ready.

haha as i type i have a big blister on my hand from grabbing the side of my uds right after i welded a shelf bracket in it, that hurt like hell, ive done it too many times cooking but now learning to weld will be alot of burnt hands im thinkin.

I always ask if I am MO or RON because I am not smart enought to be a MORON

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky