6 hours-ish for st luis ribs?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by jerseydrew, Jul 28, 2013.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Smoking Fanatic

first time with st. louis cut. i usually do baby backs for about 4-5 hours. so i figure 5-6 for the st louis cut? i don't foil just straight smoke with water in pan. 

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  2. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

That should be about right, just do the bend test and you will know when they are ready!

3. ats32

ats32 Smoking Fanatic

You're right on. I do 3-2-1 for St Louis and 2-2-1 for baby backs.

4. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

How hot are you goin to run your smoker? That'll play into how long your ribs are going to take. I've been smoking at temps between 275*-285* and have been hitting times around 4hrs for St Louis ribs.

5. ats32

ats32 Smoking Fanatic

^Good point. It's about 6 hours for me when running 225-250.

6. jerseydrew

for ribs i usually run at 235-245

7. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Get your temp up and wait for the sweat to appear on top of the ribs. then do the bend test. Should take about 4 hours at 275˚. then give them a 1 hour rest.  Spares are usually fattier than baby backs, so the higher temp is really beneficial in rendering the fat. At 245˚ you're looking at 5ish hours, but it's been my experience that the flavor and texture isn't as good as with the higher heat.

Let us know what happens!

8. jerseydrew

they were fantastic. 5h 45m i did not care for the cut though. i was under the impression that there would be no cartilage or whatever those white tubes are. and they were still there. i much prefer the baby backs...