5 .36 lb Packer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All Yesterday I was in Restaurant Depot looking for brisket/packers. I came across a 5 .36lb brisket/packer.
Yes it is a full packer with a flat & point section.How could be only 5.36 lbs, maybe small cow?:drool
Just curious about the size? I also picked up a 9 lb packer. RD had Royal Oak 16 lbs Red bagfor $10.97

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Hi All Yesterday I was in Restaurant Depot looking for brisket/packers. I came across a 5 .36lb brisket/packer.
Yes it is a full packer with a flat & point section.How could be only 5.36 lbs, maybe small cow?
drool.gif

Just curious about the size? I also picked up a 9 lb packer. RD had Royal Oak 16 lbs Red bagfor $10.97

Thanks Dan
Could you post a pic of the 5.36LB Does it have any fat cap?

David

looks like a trimmed brisket to me. not a full packer............heres someones definition of a the cuts...lol. .....Trimmed Brisket (Brisket Flat) CutAs we described the whole untrimmed brisket (see above), this is just the brisket flat trimmed and removed from the entire brisket. You can actually do this yourself with a whole brisket. This piece of meat is s maller in size than the whole brisket. Usually, it weighs in the 5 to 8 pound range. It is covered on the bottom by a solid fat cap. The top will consist of exposed meat with very little fat. The sides have usually been trimmed of fat, and the bottom fat cap sometimes has been trimmed down about 1/2 inch or less.This cut seems to be easier to find on the East and West Coats of the United States. It is more expensive per pound than a whole untrimmed brisket. There is naturally less waste on this pieces of meat. All of the grain will run in one direction with this cut.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Whole Untrimmed (Packer Cut) BrisketYou The whole untrimmed brisket (Packer Cut) is made up of two distinct sections of the brisket. The thickest end of the packer cut is called the point. It is usually covered by large amounts of fat. The other end of the brisket is called the brisket flat. The flat is the thinner section of meat that runs the length of the brisket. It is covered with a separate piece of meat which sits on top of it to form the point. So, the thick end is the brisket point, and the brisket will

Last edited:
Hello. Does size really matter? Just thought I might chime in with my 2 pence ( British 2 cents ). Either way it looks to me to be a chunk of brisket of some description with a "fair" amount of fat still in tact. I think DanBono should get some good food frfom this cut so long as he goes long and slow. Keep Smokin!Danny

Hi All It is a real packer with a flat and a point section..The flat portion looks very thin..Yup never seen one this small. Low N slow is where I'm going with "IT".
Right now it's in the freezer. I'm going to smoke the bigger one that I bought 8.5 Lbs.Might use the 5 lber for my hamburger meat, along with some chuck.
Thanks Dan
PS I just could not resist buying the 5 lber.
icon14.gif

Last edited:
5#'s, we call that dinner for one here in Texas!  JK, LOL, yeah, I'm thinking it's probably a super trimmed packer.  I know from my own personal trimming experiments, that with my trim method, I take a 12 pounder down to nearly 9 before it even hits the pit.

Hi I'm done with trimming any brisket, from now on all my briskets are going on the smoker fully dressed=fat still on.:biggrin:
Will remove the fat after it is cook.
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Hi I'm done with trimming any brisket, from now on all my briskets are going on the smoker fully dressed=fat still on.
biggrin.gif

Will remove the fat after it is cook.
Thanks Dan
And I have cooked and still cook a lot of briskets untrimmed and you are right, the fat removes much easier after cooking but to me, the benefits of a heavy trim out weigh the time and effort I spend on the trim.  More bark, more flavor to more of the meats surface, equals a better brisket to me.  The main part I am trimming out is the huge section of fat, the deckle, in between the flat and point sections anyway.  It's useless, it does nothing for the meat, if anything, it increases cook time on the point and allows less heat to get to the point, acting as an insulator and keeping the internal marbling within the glorious point section from fully rendering out.  Just the way I do it and that's what makes Q so great, there is no wrong or right way to do it.  It all comes down to personal preference.

Hi I will remove the deckle before smoking.The 8 lber that I have has very little fat on it, which is surprizing.So getting back to my question where did a full packer this small come from??
I'm going to weigh the 5 .36 lb brisket to see if it is the right weight.
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Hi All Well it is certainty NOT veal. I eat enough Veal to know the difference.Looks just like the other beef brisket I bought except it is 5.36lbs.
Soo the questions remains where did come from?
Thanks Dan
PS I think I should of left it in RD.
wife.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky