4lb boneless boston butt (w/qview)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texasgal81

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Northlake, TX
For those that saw my chicken post last week, this is my new smoke of the day - a 4lb boston butt. I have my Brinkmann Electric smoker set about 225 - 240 as it will fluctuate throughout the day. Since this is only my second pork smoke & my first boston butt, I'm trying this smoke with the fat cap facing up.

I cleaned it up & rubbed it yesterday afternoon using EVOO, Black's BBQ dry rub (from Lockhart, TX), Gordon's Grub Rub (from Katy, TX), garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Wrapped it up in plastic wrap & kept it in the fridge overnight. In the water pan I have water, apple juice, 2 bottles of Shiner Light Blonde, minced garlic and some of the rub. I want pulled pork so I'll be leaving it on til around 205 degrees IT.

Here's a few QView pics to get us started - got it on about 7:45 am.

I have a small battery powered thermometer that I've calibrated using the boiling water method. Nothing fancy. I haven't spent any real money on one yet because I'm trying to decide which kind I want and how much I want to spend. This one has been working for me so far. Just tested at 6 hours and I'm at 180. I try not to check too often so I don't let out the heat when I check the temp.
icon_lol.gif

So I pulled after 8 1/2 hours... a little over 2 hours a pound. My temp was showing about 194. I've wrapped it up and put it in a cooler & hoping that it will be easy to pull when I get a chance to have dinner later. Also decided to put on some bacon wrapped asparagus that I put EVOO and S&P on. I'll let that sit for about 2 hours on the smoker. Here's the pic of the butt off the smoker & the asparagus. Will post again when I pull the pork later!

Nice looking butt.  FWIW, you' can save some $$$ by skipping the 2 bottles of Shiner in the water pan, it doesn't really affect the flavor or the cook.  Use water instead and drink the Shiner 
biggrin.gif

EDIT:  BTW, same thing goes for the Apple Juice.

Last edited:
Nice looking butt.  FWIW, you' can save some $$$ by skipping the 2 bottles of Shiner in the water pan, it doesn't really affect the flavor or the cook.  Use water instead and drink the Shiner  :biggrin:

Really? I can usually taste it in my chicken. I wasn't sure about pork though. I wish I could have drank it, but I'm working while I smoke so no beer until later for me! I'm sure I'll have some with dinner though. Lol.

Really? I can usually taste it in my chicken. I wasn't sure about pork though. I wish I could have drank it, but I'm working while I smoke so no beer until later for me! I'm sure I'll have some with dinner though. Lol.
Basically, the flavors won't transfer through evaporation.  Now, if you spritz with the beer or apple juice, that's a different story.   I used to waste money keeping my water pans filled with Apple Juice.  Switched to water and there's no difference.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky