40MES broke even with new element

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by wakame, Sep 16, 2016.

1. wakame

wakame Newbie

Got a 3 years old 40MES used around 40-50 hours. I was smoking some meat a few weeks ago, as I emptying the tray I noticed that the element stopped working. Both the green and red lights are lid, but no heat. So I finally got the replacement element. Install it like the instruction say. I tested it to make sure it was working, nothing. Lights are lid, but I got no heat. I made sure all the connections are secured. What else should I check?

2. old sarge

old sarge Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I would get a multimeter and do a continuity check on the element to make sure that it is good.  I would also check to see if power is actually getting to the element. Other than that it might be time for a new smoker.  Besides the MES, there is Smokin-it and Cookshack which are very good smokers and are all stainless steel inside and out. I have used both and never had a problem with either.

3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Call masterbuilt and describe problem. May also be controller...JJ

4. wakame

wakame Newbie

Element is reading 12.0. I played around with the controller and I could hear it click when it turns on the heating. I hear humming also, but I Chek the wiring in the back, no power.

5. old sarge

old sarge Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

No power - call master built. 

6. wakame

wakame Newbie

They only open during business hours. Don't know when I'll have time to call them.

7. wakame

wakame Newbie

Just checked using a killawatt that it only draws 4 watts of power when it is running.