4.77/lb Boneless Ribeye Steak Value Pack?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

allensudz

Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
It says USDA Select Beef Super Value Pack Limit 2 with additional $10 purchase (which would be beer for me). From Kroger in Plano.

Is this a good buy? Do you need to look at the product before even thinking about these deals? I buy Briskets all the time and know what I am looking for. Always had the parents pick out the steaks becasue they had the $ to do so.

Sorry to keep asking these questions but I am young and want to learn good deals beforehand.

Thanks in advance.

In my area that would be a very good buy. I got some ribeye steaks earlier this week on sale for 4.99 a lb and they were good

We Have the same Grade of beef ribeyes on sale this week
Whole in the bag for 2.99lb
whole but we slice for you at 3.29lb
family packs 4 steaks or more for 3.99lb

We don't deliver
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

SOB

NOPE no shipping sorry!
But if you send me some money I can buy it then smoke it with some of my new PECAN wood I cot from Soa Fung and pm you the pics of me enjoying it for you!
icon_mrgreen.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif
LMAO

SOB

Last year I bought a whole ribeye at 2.99 a lb,Had it sliced 1in thick,vac sealed it.Grilled two of them medium rare(tough as leather)They were select grade.Used the rest for stew beef.Maybe I should have marinated for a few hours.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Charles T.

Probably not bad, but remember that Select is the third tier in the consumer "beef food chain". Top ranked is "Prime". Lots of marbeling and tender. "Choice" is next - not as much marbeling, but usually a good steak. "Select" has the least marbeling. Remember - Fat is Flavor!

Not saying to not try them, but I would give them a try, but not buy a carload until you were sure they were good to your tastes.

I get spoiled here in Houston - prime is usually on sale for 9 bucks somewhere. Yummy
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

Heck last week Winn Dixie had bone in ribeyes on sale for 3.99 lb whole roast I got 2 one about 22lb and another 20lbs and they were really nice too.

The select catagory of meat can have such a wide variety of the different grades its amazing. Sometimes we have these sales the ribs are sooo lean and thin that i wish we didn't have to sell them. Then other times, like this time, we have so many beautifully marbled I couldn't understand how they didn't grade choice. So I asked a friend who runs a slaughter house in the next town how this happens and he said,"there are so many different factors that make up the grading process,its hard to say for sure, but it sounds like maybe the cattle spent to much time in the feed lot (the fenced in area where the cattle stay at the slaughter house before they are killed). If they spend lets say,more than 10 days in the feed lot , they will automaticly get kicked to the select catagory. No matter if it would actually grade choice, prime, or select." Huh... Makes sense to me cause I've seen some really nice ribeyes co across our scales.........across our scales.....
icon_wink.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
....not necessarily out to the customer.
icon_mrgreen.gif

I guess it does pay sometimes to be a dumb ol' meatcutter!
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
.....:PDT_Armataz_01 _11: !!!

SOB

I too bought 2 packages of ribeyes about 23 lbs each and had them sliced. Last Tuesday I grilled them and they were excellent. Hard to beat $3.99. I did some trimming but flavorful and tender.

Learned a trick or two about grilling steaks from pros. First, allow meat to come near room temperature before grilling.
Secondly, smear soy sauce liberally on both sides about an hour before grilling. Lightly coat both sides with olive oil to minimize sticking on grill. Salt and pepper. Once cooked to preference allow meat to rest (4 to 5 minutes) meanwhile brush light coat of butter on top of steak.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky