3 Turkey Breasts ~7# a piece

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indyadmin1974

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 26, 2007
Clemmons
I'm going to be smoking 3 turkey breasts for Saturday. They are all sitting in Travcoman45's brine as we speak and have been for nearly a day.

I am having a hard time determining how long I'm going to need and whether I should cook it around 250 or 325.

Each breast is about 7#. I have the exact poundage marked at home. I smoked a turkey breast on my first smoke and it came out wonderful. Unfortunately after my thermometer disaster last weekend, I can't really remember what temp I cooked the first one.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Qview will be in another thread.

Personally, I would go with the higher temp (skin on or off). I don't think poultry benefits from a low-n-slow cook, it seems to make the outside kinda rubbery from my experience. Cook to temps not time. I think 1.5 hr per pound is about what is suggested on a cryovacked turkey breast package. If they get to temp early, double wrap in aluminum foil, stuff them in a clean cooler & put newspaper or towels in the dead air space & close the lid, they will stay hot for at least a couple hours.

Smoked some turkey legs yesterday, had trouble keeping the temp up in my smoker so they cooked mostly around 220. They were delicious, but I did have to pull the skin off because it was really rubbery. Not sure if your breasts will have skin on them or not but fishawn gave you some pretty good advice.

Rula a thumb (an that depends on whether er not yall just smacked that thumb with a hammer) is 1 1/2 hours a pound. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I cook all my poultry ta 170* in the breast. With the brine an smokin at 250* (turkey I will cook at 300* - 325* bein a bigger bird) never had a dry one yet.

Ifin ya wan't a crisper skin, ya can pull a bit early an finish in the oven at 350* ta crisp em up. Never really had a complaint on the skin usin my spritz but ifin ya wan't ta do the oven thin it works out perty well.

Most a my 4 pound er so chickens average 5 1/2 ta 6 hours per smoke. Weather will play a part in all this to. Ifin it's windy seems ta take longer.

Good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky