3 - 2 - 1 visual cue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jonathan

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
I'm pretty new to ribs and such (as in completely novice).

Trying a 3-2-1. When looking to see if its ready to wrap, do I simply look for visual if the meat is pulling from the bone? Do I go with an internal temp? Should the meat already be browning?

Also, any particular tips for foiling the ribs? I presume its a lil different from foiling a brisket or a roast if for no other reasons the length and the bones.

I really don't look that much untill I actualy foil them. After about 1 hour in the foil, I kinda peek inside (OUCH, it's hot) to see how far they have pulled back from the bones. If it's around 1/2" I may just unfoil them at that time. Apply the sauce if I'm going use it. And go for the last hour unfoiled. As far as foiling goes. heck I just spay them pretty good with apple juice and foil away. The bottom line is about 1/2 or so for the pull back on the bone is what I shoot for. Some may do it different. I don't think you can get a good internal temp. there really isn't enough meat to probe without hitting a bone. I hope this will get you in the ball park.

Thanks. Just foiled them in fact. That'll give me a ballpark on it.

I watch spares like a hawk. Smokin's bout right, at 1/2" you better get them outta the foil and on the rack for firm'n and add'n sauce(if ya want)

Everyone does them different, everyone has great ribs. You MUST practice to get them just right for your family. 3-2-1 is JUST a guide, not a rule.

Smokin is right, first 3 hrs is just smoke'n. I watch for a 1/4" pull or so then I pull and foil. The foil is where you MUST watch!!! They can go fast! I just "eyeball" it then pull to firm up and add sauce for last hr.

I've even gone 3 -.5-1.5 before. Ya just gotta watch them and practice.

Smokers and tasters are different, thats why ya gotta practice.

Good luck Jonathan!

wow.......never thought about watching em IN the foil........i have waited anywhere from 1.5-2 hours in the foil.......WITHOUT looking.......and wondering WHY i have a TWO inch pullback...........

thankx guys

And remember too that baby back do not need 6 hours to get done. Cut it back to around 4 to 4 1/2 or so. More like a 2-1.5-1 or so.
I don't bother opening the foil to look. To dam hot!! They always come out good anyway
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

yeah...... 3-2-1 or 3-1-1 is for spares..........NOT BB's......don't do bb's........NO meat on em.........and higher priced...........

I did some Baby Backs last week @225* using 2-1-1 and came out perfect for me.....and they didnt last long, so I think they passed the test.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Thanks, Wensday I'm going to put three racks of spares on my home made wood burner (see avatar) and a nine pound picnic on my new red ecb. It will be my first time using the brinkman. I could use some advice on triming the spares to "St. Louis" style ?

That is a perfect link, thank you. It's forecast to run from twenty to thirty degrees Wensday so I think I will need to use sand. I have seasoned the ecb with pam and brought it up to temps for about an hour.

Ended up just doing the picnic and it was great!! I'm looking forward to the spares first of the week. The help you all gave me with the trimming "St. Louis" style will be a big help. Thanks

EXCELLENT link Walking Dude!! Tho I've never been able to get the membrane off that easily. The excess cut off makes for great sandwiches.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

stacks, we have found that if you grip the silver skin with a paper towel, you get a better grip on the skin, and it pulls easier

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky