3-2-1 , 2-2-1 , 2-1-1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coyote

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
We get a lot of new folks asking about the 3-2-1 , 2-2-1 or 2-1-1 method for smoking ribs. Smoker temperatures are normally in the neighborhood of 225* for this method.

The first number is how long the ribs are in the smoker unwrapped. (Trimmings are on the top shelf)
raw6mx.jpg

The second number is how long the ribs are wrapped in fiol in the smoker.
foil4wt.jpg

And the last number is how long the ribs are in the smoker unwrapped again.
ribs15rr.jpg

By the way, these ribs were sprayed with apple juice once and hour during the first phase and smoked last weekend using apple wood, cherry wood and dried pineapple rinds . Then more pineapple rind was used for smoke and they were glazed with Habanero Pineapple Texas Pepper Jelly during the final phase.
icon_biggrin.gif
Mmmmmmmm.

found this and thought it might be helpful. but here we go again..that number represents the dredded T*** I would guess hour, as minute would make no sence attoll..but there are some great ideas in this rib smoke.

I agree, those ribs look outstanding-great job and I love the technique-gonna have to try that!

Now ya done it I'M HUNGRY now looks good

nice job coyote........but you mita mention, that this method is MOSTLY for spares, and not bb's.........

but you can still use this on bb's i guess

So walking dude, No wrap on bb's? Is that because of the lesser fat content? What do you prefer, a straight smoke? Unless there on some crazy sale I still prefer a st louis trim myself so I havent done bb's yet in the smoker.

bb's dont need the wrap in most cases........doesn't has as much meat as a spare.............and some folks don't even wrap spares..............

ribs are one of the hardest meats to get down right everytime...........plus its one of the few that you have to do TIME on........not temps......not enuff meat to stick a probe into, without taking a chance of getting to close to a bone...........but some will argue THAT statement also........

its mostly a feel type smoke..........and i STILL haven't gotten it down yet.....

Great tutorial, and you've got my mouth watering! I've never heard of using pineapple rind in the smoking process, and didn't find anything about is by searching. Do you just take some of the dried rind and toss it in with the wood?

If they look like rib's, they get smoked this way. I don't check temp to see if they are 172deg. Like WD said, might hit a bone. I look for the pull on the bones when time is up. Have never had a bad batch. (yet)

Great tutorial Coyote.

geob

Pineapple rinds, rosemary? Am I missing something here? For me cooking ribs is the easiest of all. I use the 3-2-1 and the only problem I ever have is keeping people away. Lucky for I live in the sticks and only have 1 neighbor within a quarter mile. Bad news there is a quarter mile is not far enough. He always smells or see's the smoke in progress. Good news there is that I am a big enough show off that I always have a extra slab to take over to them. By the way, the hardest thing for me to smoke is chicken. Thats the only part of the pork, beef, chicken smoke I have problems getting right. Oh well no real problem there. It takes too many yard birds to feed people anyhow.

Ribs are hard for me to get just right. I can cook a mean pork shoulder, but I struggle with ribs every time.

Thanks Walking Dude, I see you have been around and posting expert info for some time. and I guess you have fired up the smoker and smoked a bunch of meat.
Now me and a lot of others (I am a new bee and never have smoked on a smoker before) don't know squat Nor most of the terms used here.and have to ask question which gets old for some of the ole timers here. But they answer any way.(thanks) But you could help even more by maybe not asuming that we all ready know everything and wrote like that, it would be a lot more help. Like BBs I thought WTF is that? BB guns?? the shells I shoot at coyotes are 3"mag BBs I though BBs HMMMMM then the club of god smacked me on the back of the head and I got it.beef balls why in sam hill are we talking beef balls when were trying to smoke ribs??
Talk slow to use newbies and spell it out. your helps and inf is GREAT. like the big hunky he seems to navigate the search thing pretty good. me I can do it but the sorting out of all the info can be a little over welmin.
Thank s for your help and the thanks to the rest of you folks that take your time to help us new folks with the same ole questions. I am sure our day will come when we can help others also..right now we are trying to impress the dinner crowd at our homes..

baby backs are not normally foiled.........but its how you want to cook em....... 2-2-1 is just a adjustment some have made for cooking their spares............3-2-1, 2-2-1, whatever........are just guide lines........practice practice pratice, is the only way you will find out which one werks for you and yours

Me too, and foil too! Depending on what is on with the ribs, it could be a 2-1.5-.75 also.
cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky