2x 1.8lb Picnic Porks stalled at 190

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meridianman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Greenville, SC
I've got two 1.8lb Picnic Porks they've been in at about 225 - 235 for 5 hours and I'm stalled at 190 IT. Is that safe to pull, rest and eat or should I just keep hanging on? I read on another thread to pull at 205 - 210. Any thoughts? I'm hungry :)

If your going to pull it wait till 205.  If slicing pull it out.

THanks for the help. At this point I don't really care, I'm hungry :) I've got two, maybe I'll pull one and keep the other going...

I sliced one and pulled the other, the pulled was overly dry, the sliced not so dry but still not great. Maybe I should have let it rest longer, or maybe its just not as good as tenderloin or ribs. Any thoughts? It was my first time on this cut.

I have never had a stall at 190.  Usually in the 155 to 165 range?

You said picnic which is the lower part of the pork shoulder.

I will ignore the references to loin or tenderloin which are totally different animals.

The picnic will cook a little differently than the butt.  Still don't understand why the stall didn't come at a lower temp.

For pulling, I really like the butt.

Guess you will have to experiment.  That is half the fun anyway.

Good luck and good smoking.

I've got two 1.8lb Picnic Porks they've been in at about 225 - 235 for 5 hours and I'm stalled at 190 IT. Is that safe to pull, rest and eat or should I just keep hanging on? I read on another thread to pull at 205 - 210. Any thoughts? I'm hungry :)
I'm confused. What exactly was it that you were cooking? A "pork picnic" is the lower half of the leg, or the entire leg, and is usually a lot larger than 1.8 pounds. A stall at a higher temp usually means there is either a problem with your thermo or the probe is in a fat pocket or resting on a bone. In the future, probe in several places to get an average temperature. It sounds like you just overcooked the dry one.

I'm confused. What exactly was it that you were cooking? A "pork picnic" is the lower half of the leg, or the entire leg, and is usually a lot larger than 1.8 pounds. A stall at a higher temp usually means there is either a problem with your thermo or the probe is in a fat pocket or resting on a bone. In the future, probe in several places to get an average temperature. It sounds like you just overcooked the dry one.
Not sure. It said Picnic Pork on the package. It was two pieces each about 1.8lbs. No bone

My first thought was thermometer calibration. Second is 1.8 lbs is not much mass for a super slow roast. I would have smoked, wrapped in foil and finished something that size.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky