2nd time is a charm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scottddove

Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
georgia
I did the spare ribs again this weekend and turned out great. I finally am getting the hang of how to build the right kind of fire. I have finally got the point on the thin blue smoke phrase I keep reading about, I had it all thru my smoke and it turned out right this time.I did the 321 method and was happy over all with the results. I would have liked them to be a little more tender(falling off the bone) but they were still good. I have been a bbqing fool for a month now and have done chicken,pulled pork, and spare ribs twice. this weekend it will be pulled pork and a smoked turkey breast. Any other ideas feel free to send them my way. I am officially addicted to this just ask my wife. thanks to everyone for the help along the way. scott

Hey Scott:

Glad to hear you are having such a great time. There is nothing like a successfull rib smoke. You are really going to enjoy the turkey; my suggestion would be to brine it and cook it at a higher temp (300 degrees) if you want a crsipy skin. I love mine with apple and cherry woods.

I cook my ribs with out foil... but I'm not looking for fall off the bone... I want the meat to pull off the bone when you bite it, but not fall off or come off in a big chunk...

Now, I know that a lot of folks like the fall off the bone rib... If that is what your after, just leave 'em in the foil a bit longer and you'll get what ya want...

Glad to hear that you have acquired the passion for smoke!

James.

Congrats on your smoke it doesnt take a lot to get hooked it's all down hikk from here.
Good Luck and Good Smoking
Redbrinkman1955
icon_lol.gif

Hey James, I'm with you. I finally tried the 3-2-1 method. They were fall of the bone, but I just need some chew to them.
wink.gif
Gonna do them naked, naked, and naked, from now on.

Chadpole finally got me to wrap a pork butt in tin foil when the meat temp finally came up. That made all the difference in the world. That was the first time I was able to lay the knife down and pull a butt.
biggrin.gif
(don't even go there Gypsy)
icon_eek.gif
. time to go. And thats the way it is, October 17- 2007.

I like mine to have some bite to them. I don't want them fallin' off the bone. WHile I still got my teeth I want to use them!
biggrin.gif

I feel the same way as Debi. Ive cooked them both ways and seems to me the fall of the bone takes a lot of taste out of them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky