2nd time is a charm

Discussion in 'Pork' started by scottddove, Oct 14, 2007.

1. I did the spare ribs again this weekend and turned out great. I finally am getting the hang of how to build the right kind of fire. I have finally got the point on the thin blue smoke phrase I keep reading about, I had it all thru my smoke and it turned out right this time.I did the 321 method and was happy over all with the results. I would have liked them to be a little more tender(falling off the bone) but they were still good. I have been a bbqing fool for a month now and have done chicken,pulled pork, and spare ribs twice. this weekend it will be pulled pork and a smoked turkey breast. Any other ideas feel free to send them my way. I am officially addicted to this just ask my wife. thanks to everyone for the help along the way. scott

2. ron50

ron50 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

NY
    Hey Scott:

Glad to hear you are having such a great time. There is nothing like a successfull rib smoke. You are really going to enjoy the turkey; my suggestion would be to brine it and cook it at a higher temp (300 degrees) if you want a crsipy skin. I love mine with apple and cherry woods.

3. jamesb

jamesb Smoking Fanatic

I cook my ribs with out foil... but I'm not looking for fall off the bone... I want the meat to pull off the bone when you bite it, but not fall off or come off in a big chunk...

Now, I know that a lot of folks like the fall off the bone rib... If that is what your after, just leave 'em in the foil a bit longer and you'll get what ya want...

Glad to hear that you have acquired the passion for smoke!

James.

4. redbrinkman1955

redbrinkman1955 Smoking Fanatic

Congrats on your smoke it doesnt take a lot to get hooked it's all down hikk from here.
    Good Luck and Good Smoking
    Redbrinkman1955[​IMG]

5. bigarm's smokin

bigarm's smokin Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Hey James, I'm with you. I finally tried the 3-2-1 method. They were fall of the bone, but I just need some chew to them. [​IMG] Gonna do them naked, naked, and naked, from now on.
    Chadpole finally got me to wrap a pork butt in tin foil when the meat temp finally came up. That made all the difference in the world. That was the first time I was able to lay the knife down and pull a butt. [​IMG] (don't even go there Gypsy) [​IMG] . time to go. And thats the way it is, October 17- 2007.

6. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

I like mine to have some bite to them. I don't want them fallin' off the bone. WHile I still got my teeth I want to use them! [​IMG]

7. msmith

msmith Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I feel the same way as Debi. Ive cooked them both ways and seems to me the fall of the bone takes a lot of taste out of them.

8. dbeast420

dbeast420 Fire Starter

The first time I tried the 321 method,it seemed that the ribs got mushy.

Try cutting down on the foil time. It'll make a difference [​IMG]

9. deer meat

deer meat Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

That is a good one Debi, I totally agree[​IMG]