1st Brisket - Disaster Averted!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pgsmoker64

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 23, 2010
Prince George, Va.
Hello SMF friends,

Well, I finally did my first brisket yesterday, and I have to say it was one of the most frustrating experiences I have had with BBQ.

Regardless of how I felt about the experience, the Brisket turned out GREAT!!!

My family went nuts over it! I used my version of Jeff's rub on a 6-1/2 lb. brisket and had it on the smoker by 5:00 a.m. Every hour or so I flipped it and mopped it with a mixture of apple juice, beef broth, and butter.

At 9:45 the temperature stalled at 134 degrees and stayed there for the next two hours. By 2:00 p.m. I had hit 144 degrees and it stalled again (all the time the smoker temp was between 225 and 235).  By 5:00 p.m. I was starting to lose temp., down to 140.

I had had enough...I had the brisket in a mixture of pecan and oak smoke for about 6 hours, so I fugured it was sufficiently smoky. So I pulled it out of the smoker, tented it with foil and put it in the oven at 230. The temp started going up after about a half hour, thankfully. I was hoping to be ready to eat by around 7:30 or 8:00, but alas, another temperature stall!!

The brisky hit 175, backed down to 170 and stayed there until 9:00 p.m.! Finally, at 9:45 p.m. the brisket hit 185 degrees. I pulled it out of the oven, let it rest for 30 minutes and then sliced that beauty. It was gorgeous. Had about a 1/2" smoke ring and a great looking crust. It was also tender beyond belief and very juicy!

Honestly, I had no hope for this turning out well so I didn't have the camera charged and ready to go! Sorry for the lack of Q-view, but I was almost to the point of throwing the brisket in the trash! 

Why the heck did it take me 16-1/2 hours to smoke a 6-1/2 lb. brisket?!?

I have experience the stall before, but never on three different occasions. Anyone else ever have this happen?

Thanks for reading....

Bill

Wow Bill, that was a long time.  It's not uncommon to have multiple stalls during a smoke. I've had them a time or two when doing larger whole packer briskets (12+ lbs).

The questions that ran through my mind are 1) is the thermometer on your unit accurate-most stock thermos are notorious for being way off. 2) what type of thermometer were you using to check the meat temp and was it calibrated?

Thanks for the response Dutch. I use Taylor digitals to monitor smoker temp and meat temp. I checked both in ice water (constant 32 deg. F) prior to getting started and they were within a degree or two.

Because of the problems I had, I checked them again after finishing and got the same results.

Thanks again,

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky