12.3 lb pork shoulder just went on

Discussion in 'Pork' started by spohnat, Oct 1, 2016.

1. spohnat

spohnat Newbie

Grocery store had them for 99 a pound so I could not say no.  rubbed in yellow mustard and applied a rub i had from a previous boston butt smoke (Billlbo's rub found on the forum).  I am using a 30 MES with AMNPS with apple pellets at 230.  Here a pic of it all seasoned up.

I am trying no water in the pan this time.  I had a little trouble keeping the AMNPS lit last time so I closely monitoring. I pulled the chip loader and holder and have the vent fully open. 

I used SoFlaQuer's Carolina Mustard Sauce  and SoFlaQuers finishing sauce.  Is there another Carolina Mustard anyone would recommend?  I like SoFlaQuers but want to try a new one.  

Also open to suggestions on some vegatables to try smoking.  I have done green beans, baked beans, corn, tomatoes and potatoes so far.  Let me know your favorites

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

3. spohnat

spohnat Newbie

No issues with the amnps.  Here is a pic 6 hours in when probed (temp 132)

i have been spritzing w a apple cider vinegar and water mixture about every hour since probing.  Smoking stopped a little over 10 hours.  I foiled at 160 which took 11 hours, put the meat in the drip tray and added 1 cup of apple juice. I increased the temp to 250.  

Could i turn the temp up a little?  I plan to pull at 205

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  4. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

WOW.   Nice long cook.

Yes I would turn the temp up.    

5. redheelerdog

redheelerdog Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

That is looking good!

6. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looking good!

7. spohnat

spohnat Newbie

pulled at 205.  16 hours cook time.  

removed from juices, wrapped in foil.  let it rest for 100 minutes.  here she is shredded and a little snack

i had frozen the drippings, removed the fat and added back in the drippings.  Also added SoFlaQuers finishing sauce

cooked down to 7 lbs and fits in a five quart pot.  Ill be enjoying it during football tomorrow. Go Browns, go Bills!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  8. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice job!

The PP looks delicious!

Al