100* Tri Tip!!! NOW with super Drool view!

Discussion in 'Beef' started by dirtsailor2003, Jul 21, 2013.

1. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yep that's right 100* tri tip, that's how hot it is in the shade!!! Fired up the Mini with kings ford blue and cherry. I didn't even have to light the briquettes they just combusted on their own , lol!

Into the smoke we go!

2. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

Yea you Pacific NWers aren't used to those temps!     I loved living out there because the weather was never extreme  (except for all the rain)...winters were mild and Summers were mild.      

Case i just cold smoked cheese in the same temps last week!  What was i thinking?  LOL

3. dirtsailor2003

Here in the high desert we get some pretty hot days, but it always cools down at night. We're having days in the upper nineties right now with night time lows in the 60's. Pretty typical for this the of year.

Can't wait for tri tip and crispy skin taters!! Hope it cools down a bit before dinner time!

4. fwismoker

I didn't know Oregon had those different climates.   Washington where i was sure did...West and East of the mountains are waaay different climates, i was on the West. 

5. dirtsailor2003

Yep same thing here in Oregon, dryer East of the cascades and wetter on the west side.

6. dirtsailor2003

Ready to be foiled and rest!

Love Mr T's crispy skin taters! Been doing them in the gasser, to hit to fire up the indoor oven!!

7. dirtsailor2003

Wish I had some home grown tomaters to slice and serve, store bought is going to have to do!!!!!

8. fwismoker

Case i've been doing his taters too.. i've been throwing them in  naked (no foil) on the bottom rack of the mini alot of the time....micro if i'm in a hurry.

9. dirtsailor2003

No foil no micro for me!

I keep seeing a lot if tri's being cut with the grain so here we go again for those whose not saw my tri cutting tutorial.

Cut one

With the grain (cut one opened up)

Then cut 90* to that cut for the rest of the cuts

Perfect cross grain cut!

10. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

That looks Awesome Case!!! But ya'll gotta stop! I can't get tri tips over here!!!

11. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great!  DS sounds like the temps here in North Alabama too.

Yummy dinner!

Kat

12. fwismoker

Our Costco better open up soon because i refuse to spend $18 for tri's.    Sure i can get chicken for .89 a lb. but man can not live on chicken alone!     

Good looking dinner Case but next one i want to see on the drum! ;)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  13. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great. Nearest costco is 150 miles away.

14. [​IMG]    BEAUTIFUL!   [​IMG]         [​IMG]

15. webowabo

webowabo Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Nice work case... bug I agree.. everyone has to stop with the tri tip. .. I asked the whole foods butcher if I could get some around here and he might as well been deaf amd me blind.. cause I didnt see him react or try... noe did I hear him say anthing..
    Lol...
    Good tip on the slicing... will use IF I CAN FIND SOME.. hehheh..

16. dirtsailor2003

What ya have to trade????

17. dirtsailor2003

Thanks Kat! At least our heat is a "dry" heat!!! Still hot!!!

18. dirtsailor2003

I feel fortunate to get them like I do. $3.
    Thanks Keith! If I do tri's on the UDS, it'll be the whole cryopac!!!

19. dirtsailor2003

Better get cruising! I don't buy mine there, $7.99 per pound ouch! I get mine from our local restaurant wholesaler, $3.25 per pound!

20. dirtsailor2003

Thanks Jeremy!! Let me know when the doctors give you clearance to smoke again and I'll send you some tri tip!!!