'08 SMF GATHERING - Are you SERIOUS???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

peculiarmike

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 29, 2006
Peculiar, MO
The '08 SMF Smokin' Roundup will be June 19, 20, 21, 22 2008.
We have the site from 6PM Thursday the 19th to 6PM Sunday, the 22nd.

Location is Thibaut Point Park on Truman Lake, Missouri
(Thibaut is pronounced "teebo")

Now -

If you, as a SMF member, are SERIOUS about attending, and I am talking REALLY SERIOUS, send me a PM with your email address. I will email an "Information & Application" form to those SERIOUS about attending.
How SERIOUS you ask?
There will be an advance NON-REFUNDABLE fee to attend which goes to pay for the location fees, regardless of where you stay, camping or motel. Any way you cut it, we have to have a place dedicated to this event. Any funds left (if any) after paying the rental fees will be used to buy plates, cups, utensils, etc. for the group. Object of the game is to break even, no one is making money off this event. Any other left over funds (if any) will be used to buy items for a give away drawing. 100% payback to the group.
I am also hitting the KC area sporting goods dealers, BBQ stores, Wal-Mart, Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, etc. begging for items to give away. Hope to come up with some good swag.
The cut-off date for applications will be May 19, 2008.
This will give us a close approximation of how many and who will attend. Last year that was a big issue, there were people who had volunteered to cook a meal for the group who backed out at the last minute and some who said they would be there who just failed to show. Makes planning group meals almost impossible.
I SINCERELY HOPE TO SEE AS MANY OF YOU THERE AS POSSIBLE.
Old & New friends and good eats!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Mike

Hey Mike, can you give us some kind of idea what the plans for each day might be, I find it odd to think your starting the event on a Thursday, and ending on a Saturday instead of Sunday.

I cound not make it down before Friday afternoon, and would not want to miss anything.

Please let us know more!

PDT_Armataz_01_10.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_10.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_10.gif
Sorry I can't make it either. My little one is due in April and with the amount of time I am taking off then I won't be able to get off any in June.
PDT_Armataz_01_10.gif

The site is reserved from 6PM Thursday evening, the 19th, to 6PM Sunday, the 22nd. In reality this gives us full days Friday, Saturday and until 6PM Sunday. That allows anyone arriving Thursday evening to check in after 6PM. The check out time is by 6PM Sunday.
Last year those attending rolled out early Sunday by choice. The site was left in excellent condition by those attending last year so clean up after the group departed was not a biggie. I would hope that is the case this year also. Regardless, Sunday afternoon will be clean up time as needed.
There are no set plans for each day, other than smoking and preparation of group meals. We will get a menu and list of those cooking and what they are cooking (volunteer basis) set up later as the list of attendees firms up.
There will be a good bit of "around the smoker" time. Generally with "something cool to drink".
There are some things to see and do in the area you might be interested in if you care to get out and about.
You will not miss anything if you arrive Friday, I think that is when most folks will arrive. I plan to be there Thursday evening to do any set up or prep necessary.

Trying to keep this in view of everyone. We would really like as many members as possible to attend. Trying to give as much advance notice as possible so plans can be made.

I'll have to check my calendar, but I think that is ARRL Field Day weekend. If not it is the next weekend, which would probably still put me out. Dang!
PDT_Armataz_01_07.gif

Truman Lake is great! I remember fishing for for crappie up there when I was a kid.

Hope for a big turnout! I'll be sure to let ya'll know if we can make it.

Want to keep this in sight so folks know and can make plans.
A good time WILL be had by all!

would love to but a long haul from AZ.ya never know might get a hair up the ***& bring tent& smoker

I wanted to bump this thread back up.

I have already paid my location fee and I'm hoping I won't be the only person there supporting the SMF Gathering in 2008.

I know everyone can't make it due to predetermined plans or distance, but it would be great to meet some of the others from the forum.

Don't worry we're not all ax murderers - but there might be a course in how to sharpen a good axe
icon_twisted.gif

Hope to see as many of you there as possible this year.

Pig, surely you won't be the only one there. I have every intention of being there, along with my wife. I truly looking forward to it!

I sure hope so. I guess I can always wear my holey t-shirts if we don't. Of course there's always that thong thing - but it doesn't cover much
icon_evil.gif

hahaha I guess it would. Much easier to think about than a curly pig tail hangin out of an SMF thong... ewwww.
icon_redface.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky