SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Cheese › Shipping Smoked Cheddar &/or Pepperjack Cheese???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shipping Smoked Cheddar &/or Pepperjack Cheese???

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Anyone shipped smoked Tillamook cheddar or pepper jack?  My college kids are hankering for some smoked cheese and jerky   Guess they miss dear ol' Dad (or at least my cooking :-) 

 

I've sent jerky plenty of times, so I'm not worried about that.

 

These cheese blocks have been vacuum sealed (Food Saver) and refrigerated again.  They are already aged the requisite 2 weeks +, so they are ready to go.  I was thinking 2 day guaranteed delivery.  Should I include gel packs or just let them ride out the 2 days?  Any advice or experience would be appreciated.  Thanks!

 

James

post #2 of 14

Call USPS/FedEx/UPS and ask them. They should be able to tell you exactly what the allow and best methods for food.

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the reply, JLRod.  I was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience with this.  I already looked at those websites.  Just wanted another perspective from my smoking brethren.

post #4 of 14

I order cheese and it gets sent ups ground. It comes vacuum sealed or waxed. It shouldn't be a problem as long as it's vacuum sealed. I also mail out my homemade mozzarella and have just used priority mail. Never had any problems.

 

Don't forget to write "perishable" on the package several times.

post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post

I order cheese and it gets sent ups ground. It comes vacuum sealed or waxed. It shouldn't be a problem as long as it's vacuum sealed. I also mail out my homemade mozzarella and have just used priority mail. Never had any problems.

 

Don't forget to write "perishable" on the package several times.



.....*runs out and checks mailbox* nope, no squirrel cheese yet

post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIRodriguez View Post





.....*runs out and checks mailbox* nope, no squirrel cheese yet



I'd be looking for the UPS truck...

post #7 of 14

It sounds like you have a good plan. I might just mail it in one of those if it fit/ it ships. I think that those are 2 days thingy and you should be fine.

post #8 of 14


Hey Johnny - as soon as it cools off a little more I will definitely ship you some of my cheese!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIRodriguez View Post





.....*runs out and checks mailbox* nope, no squirrel cheese yet

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post


Hey Johnny - as soon as it cools off a little more I will definitely ship you some of my cheese!
 


 


 lol... sounds good. Anything you can think of that you want from Oregon? Bottle of rain water, our famous Oregon Bannana slugs!, various selection of molds found on any object that sits still for more than 6 minutes.... lol.

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIRodriguez View Post





 lol... sounds good. Anything you can think of that you want from Oregon? Bottle of rain water, our famous Oregon Bannana slugs!, various selection of molds found on any object that sits still for more than 6 minutes.... lol.

Rocks for my rock collection....

post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 

Thanks everyone for the input -- especially Squirrel.  I think I'll just ship 2 day priority and see how it goes.  They're college students; they can stomach anything, right?  They certainly will EAT anything -- at any time.  And isn't cheese already "spoiled" anyway? 

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-B-Q View Post



Rocks for my rock collection....



You a rock hound Paul? My step dad does some lappidary and jewelary work as a hobby, he goes out to Madris, Oregon (high dessert) on a rock hunting week every year. I guess there is quite a gathering of folks that show up for it.

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIRodriguez View Post





.....*runs out and checks mailbox* nope, no squirrel cheese yet


My mailbox is empty too. No mozza'---She must have been teasing us.

post #14 of 14

Totally promise some cheese to da boyz! I won't forget it either! It will probably be cool enough in a few more weeks! I will make a motherload batch with lots of TLC!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cheese
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Cheese › Shipping Smoked Cheddar &/or Pepperjack Cheese???