I first shared this on the other smoking forum; thought I'd share here since I made yet another one of these last night and they are just soooooo damn good!
What do you get when you take 2 lbs of Johnsonville Brat, rolled and stuffed with 1/2 pound of smoked sharp cheddar cheese, 6 White Castle Cheeseburgers, 4 grilled and seasoned onions - then wrapped in a weave of over 1 lb of bacon and smoked with hickory and maple? Pure heaven.
Here's the assembly and some Q-View:
1. Roll out the (brat) sausage in the ziploc bag, then slit it open.
2. Lay down 3 sliders, right next to each other end-to-end, centered on the sausage. (Sliders like this ¤¤¤ )
3. After grilling up a mess of onions, layer them on top of those 3 sliders.
4. Stack the next three sliders right on top of the first 3 (so the onions are between them). Press them down to flatten the stack out a bit so it's easier to roll up.
5. Put some hunks of the cheese of your choice up and down both sides of your strip of sliders; put as much in as you think will fit.
6. Roll it up, wrap with bacon, and let 'er rip!
Again, I used Extra Sharp Smoked Cheddar. 8 oz package chunked up.
Here it is after a couple of hours with a Maple/Hickory blend (perfect wood choice for this thing. Just go about 50/50. Awesome!)
Rested and sliced:
and plated. I put a *little* ketchup and mustard on mine; my middle boy likes it with a little SBR BBQ sauce; my oldest puts a dollup of the mac-n-cheese on the sandwich. Whatever. There ain't much talking and a whole lot of eating going on, that's for sure.
I'm not exaggerating when I say this is *definitely* the favorite meal for me and my teenage boys. Like if they could go to any restaurant or choose any specific meal, they'd choose this. We were commenting on part of the "why" it's so good as we stuffed ourselves at the table. It's some VERY yummy things (White Castles, cheese, onions, bacon, and brat) that when you eat it on the sandwich you don't get it ALL at once, you get a different twist every bite and it's ALL GREAT!