or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Large quantities of ribs - to stack or not to stack
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Large quantities of ribs - to stack or not to stack

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I am doing a rib event for the local cigar club. I have seen people "maximize" the space of their smokers by piling ribs two or three layers deep on the smoker.

 

Is this advisable? How does it effect cook time and taste?

 

PSA below:

 

If you're in the Northern VA area, join the Brothers of the Smoke (www.brothersofthesmoke.com) and Old Virginia Tobacco Company (www.ovtc.com) for their first annual Ribs and Sticks event at the Woodbridge, VA location. The event starts at 4pm with special guest Don Pepin Garcia.

 

post #2 of 13

I have stacked them with good results. I did stack them in the shape of a cross, this gave me more meat that was exposed to the smoke. This will work if you have enought room in your smoker to stack them in a cvross form.. It's a bit more work when/if you foil them, but in a pinch it'll work. If you foil, try putiing a few racks in a covered aluminum pan. It's all good my friend.

post #3 of 13

I do large amounts with rib racks but stacking I'd think you won't get the smoke you're use to and might take longer to cook. I've never tried it so thats only my opinion, but if Richoso1 has done it, It's all good my friend :)

post #4 of 13

I'd go with the racks that set them up sideways. 

post #5 of 13



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiochiro3 View Post

I'd go with the racks that set them up sideways. 



 

If you have that type of rack, it would be preferred over stacking. Good option when available.

post #6 of 13

I wouldn't think just stacking the ribs on top of each other would be a good way to go. I like to make sure there's space around each rib section. I've got a rack that I bought from PGO that allows for three horizontal layers of stuff to be smoked (couldn't find a pic to post). I've used this for ribs a couple of times and found it works well. A vertical rib rack gives me more capacity, though, although since I don't trim the ribs back to KC-style, they tend to lean into each other a little too much.

post #7 of 13

This sounds like a good time! I wish I was in Virginia! I am a huge Peppin Garcia fan. Smoke a "My father" for me..oh, and eat a couple ribs for me too.

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post

This sounds like a good time! I wish I was in Virginia! I am a huge Peppin Garcia fan. Smoke a "My father" for me..oh, and eat a couple ribs for me too.


I am a big Pepin fan as well. The My Father line is exceptional. I'll be sure to burn on for ya.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey View Post

I wouldn't think just stacking the ribs on top of each other would be a good way to go. I like to make sure there's space around each rib section. I've got a rack that I bought from PGO that allows for three horizontal layers of stuff to be smoked (couldn't find a pic to post). I've used this for ribs a couple of times and found it works well. A vertical rib rack gives me more capacity, though, although since I don't trim the ribs back to KC-style, they tend to lean into each other a little too much.


What is "PGO?"

post #9 of 13

I'm with Dan on this one. If Rich says they will come out good I would take that one to the bank and stack away. He's that good.

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_connoisseur View Post

What is "PGO?"


Sorry, I forgot which site I was on. (I hate it when that happens!) It's a recognized abbreviation on pelletheads.com.  It stands for: PelletGrillOutlet.com
 

post #11 of 13

I have stacked two layers deep on my Mes. 2 on 3 on each rack.

 makes for ALOT more tending as you need to rotate  stacks and top to bottom when you fill it that much.

 that smoke was 20 racks  and i couldn't foil w/ that many racks so i just cooked till done spritzing every hour after 2 hours.

 came out good but not as good as the 3-2-1 ribs.

post #12 of 13

If you don't have racks then stacking is a very viable option. The nice thing about a stack is it is self basting, the down side you wont't get much bark. Just remember that you should rotate the stack once an hour, also use a tad more smoke than you normally would if you had them just flat.

post #13 of 13

Only thing better then good Q is a cigar afterwards

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Large quantities of ribs - to stack or not to stack