Well, after being succesfully guided through a brisket, I thought to myself, why not a Turkey, that way, I can impress the whole family at thanksgiving. So this weekend is the trial run. I have read a lot of the forum trying to get as much info as I can. Here is what I know and here is what I could use some help on.
1. I have a 10lb. Butterball premium young turkey.
2. I know that I will need to brine it and I have found a brine recipe that looks really good from this site. I will start brining tommorow morning and let it brine until saturday morning(day of the smoke)
Here is what I do NOT know.
1. How hot do I want my smoker to be at. I cannot seem to find a temp to cook it at.
2. What internal temp do I want to hit to know when I am done.
3. Should I be injecting/rubbing/or spritzing the turkey during the smoke? When? How often?
4. Is there a certain type of wood chip that is better for smoking a turkey? Right now I just have mesquite but will get whatever is recommended.
5. Where do I want to take the birds temp?
6. Is there anything else that I am missing or forgetting that is going to make me have a great turkey?
Thanks in advance for any and all advice or recommendations.