Do you know what year / model it is?
Pre-2009 I think the water pan was a bit small, so some people got replacement ones.
1) Foil the water pan, it helps!
2) Mods like the clay pot / sand in the water pan work pretty well too.
3) Minion Method, if you dont already: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html
4) DONT LIFT THE MIDDLE SECTION OUT when its full of water and the coals are burning!!!!
5) Edges of the smoker do run hotter, so I rotate my food now, a la the "Low and Slow" BBQ book
6) Brand new ones run hot for the first few smokes.
7) Make sure you have something to do while smoking, as these things are very low maintenance.
I use mine now mainly for pork butt / chuckies / chicken as they can get pretty hot if you want them too, and are super fuel efficient.
Originally Posted by ellymae
I've been wanting a WSM for a while but couldn't bring myself to buy one new. After scouring craigslist for months, I found one about close to home. Picked it up yesterday - can't wait to start learning it - planning on doind a shoulder Saturday.
Any words of wisdom from you WSM folks out there??