I didn't do a good job of documenting my progress, only the end result. I was pretty happy with how they turned out using the 2-2-1 method described elsewhere. My problem was, in addition to trying ribs for the first time, I also tried chunk charcoal for the first time. In hindsight, I would probably not have done that. I struggled to get the temp over 200 at the beginning, then just left it alone for 5 minutes and came back and it was at 400. After closing off the air and basically jacking with it for about 30 minutes, finally got it to hover around 275 (according to the built in thermometer). Last couple hours it settled in at 250 for the most part. I also seemed to have a hard time getting smoke (like in the photo of the stock rig) to come pouring out. Did a combination of soaked hickory chunks and dry. At the end of the day, things tasted pretty good.
I bought racks that were a lot larger, and needed trimmed to St. Louis style, but didn't know what to do with the leftovers pieces that weren't fat, plus I know I actually cut through some bone as well, so I must be missing something in the trimming process as all the videos I watched, the guys cut right through with a sharp knife and didn't hit any real resistance.
I did the internal vent mod that was shown in another thread using the aluminum piping and hose clamp on the inside to make the smoke hang around a little longer and it seemed to work great. Next is picking up the internal oven thermometer to check the accuracy of the built in version, but haven't had any major problems with temps yet. Might also do the add'l mods that the internal vent came from (pans on bottom with diffuser and the firebox basket mod).