or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Messages for All Guests and Members › A Freaky Occurance this Month...another Milestone in Science
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Freaky Occurance this Month...another Milestone in Science

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I opened this email today from a relative...check this out:

 

 

Mark your calendar...August 27th for this rare occurrence.



 For those who have children, show them for they will never see this again.

                                                                                                                         An interesting fact about AUGUST 2010
                                                                                                                         This AUGUST has
                                                                                                                         5 SUNDAYS
                                                                                                                         5 MONDAYS and
                                                                                                                         5 TUESDAYS ALL IN ONE MONTH.
                                                                                                                         IT HAPPENS ONCE IN 823 YEARS.
                                                                                                                         Two moons on
 27th August 2010
                                                                                                                         27th Aug the Whole World is waiting
                                                                                                                         for.............
                                                                                                                         Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It will
                                                                                                                         look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will culminate on Aug.
                                                                                                                         27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles off earth. Be sure to watch the sky
                                                                                                                         on Aug. 27 12:30 am. It will look like the earth has 2
                                                                                                                         moons.
                                                                                                                         The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.
                                                                                                                         Share this with your friends as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again.
post #2 of 14

snopes says this isnt true but i hope it is i also got this email awhile back and a friend told me snopes said it was bogus?

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandemonium View Post

snopes says this isnt true but i hope it is i also got this email awhile back and a friend told me snopes said it was bogus?



Yea, I don't know about snopes' reputation anymore, though...lots of controversy and negative publicity.

 

Eric

post #4 of 14

i guess we will find out in a couple of days...........

post #5 of 14

Yup. 5 Mon,Tues and Wed.

post #6 of 14

You would think our great news media would tell us about such a rare event? but their too busy spreading fear and doom I guess?

post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandemonium View Post

You would think our great news media would tell us about such a rare event? but their too busy spreading fear and doom I guess?

I don't know about fear and doom but more like useless bull$#it, most of the time.

post #8 of 14

NASA says it's a hoax that Mars will be that close.  However, according to Spaceweather.com:

 

  Tonight, at the stroke of midnight, go outside an look southeast. The nearly full Moon and Jupiter are having a lovely close encounter. The two brightest objects in the night sky are only only 6o apart!

 


The confluence of 5 Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays in one month is interesting though. 

post #9 of 14

"Truth or Fiction" says this story was true in 2003, but has circulated every year since:

 

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/m/mars.htm

 

Bear

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Catka View Post

NASA says it's a hoax that Mars will be that close.  However, according to Spaceweather.com:

 

  Tonight, at the stroke of midnight, go outside an look southeast. The nearly full Moon and Jupiter are having a lovely close encounter. The two brightest objects in the night sky are only only 6o apart!

 


The confluence of 5 Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays in one month is interesting though. 

 

 

FWIW this happens again in May of 2011
 

post #11 of 14

i predict tonight at precisely 10:47 pm if my neighbor looks out his north facing window he will see a full moon!

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefrob View Post

i predict tonight at precisely 10:47 pm if my neighbor looks out his north facing window he will see a full moon!


Hmmm, So now you're "mooning" your neighbor to the South???

post #13 of 14

i said nothing of the sort...............

post #14 of 14

Hey Bear I heard of such a feNOMnomaNation thingy thats gonna happen too. Robs neighbor won't see the full moon he gonna have some binocular and see a whole lot more then the moon.         LOL 

Heck maybe the moons moons too.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Messages for All Guests and Members › A Freaky Occurance this Month...another Milestone in Science