for shoulder and spares? I have a bag of hickory and apple chunks. I was thinking of using both to get a different flavor. My last smoke I used pecan chunks and I think I overdid the smoke flavor. I probably used 7-8 chunks throughout the smoke. My bro in law, wife and niece liked the stronger smoked flavor but myself, parents, sister and 2 other nieces though it was a bit too strong. I was thinking putting on an apple and hickory at the start and then another apple and hickory when I put on the spares. You think that would be too little? How much do you use and do you add throughout the smoke?
Related Forum Threads
- Noob question on chunks vs. larger pieces of wood for Char-Griller SFB Last post on 11/26/11 at 2:55pm in Woods for Smoking
- Apple chips vs Apple chunks Last post on 10/16/10 at 11:14am in General Discussion
- Smoking Spare Ribs Last post on 6/13/10 at 6:19pm in Pork
- Lump or charcoal and wood chunks Last post on 7/6/09 at 4:37pm in Charcoal Smokers
- wood Last post on 5/20/09 at 8:40am in Beef
Hawg Heaven Rub
Last edited: 9/28/11
- Here Piggy Piggy BrineLast edited: 6/11/12
- Tutorial Sealing Mated Steam Pans With FoilLast edited: 5/1/11
- Blueberry-Cherry Dry Rub for PorkLast edited: 10/5/13
- Smoking RibsLast edited: 1/8/12
I was able to make half a burger before the press portion of the burger maker broke. Had to finish the burgers using the machine and my hands, pushing manually. Push down handle and clip broke...
I really enjoyed this smoker - It is being retired for a Old Country Pecos
The family got this for me for a birthday gift ( I chose it, they paid for it). I did not get the WIFI version. Got it home, assembled it (easy) and fired it up. The temp would not stabilize, it...
Bought my T. JR 5 years ago at a Costco roadshow. It made for an affordable start in the smoking and pellet cooker space. Easy setup, but on burn-in the controller and fan burned out. ...
Loving the extra room on the LUX. (Bought as Cabela's Magnum) Smoked 3 turkeys (at once) for thanksgiving and for SuperBowl did a 14lb brisket and 8 chicken quarters at the same time. I...
How much and what kind of wood chunks.......post #1 of 48/6/10 at 12:09pmThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 48/6/10 at 12:23pm
lately ive been starting my ribs (last three smokes i did BBs) with one chunk of hickory and then maybe two foil packs of apple chips. once after the hickory burns off then one a half hour later. i have the same smoker as you only modded a bit.
hickory will give you a stronger smoke taste than the apple. first few racks i did when i was brand new to smoking i over did the smoke with hickory wood. way too overpowering.post #3 of 48/6/10 at 5:26pm
I had the same problem as you have had with too much smoke. Start out with a small amount of each wood. Lately I have been using Oak for all my pork smokes, shoulders and ribs. Apple would be good also, milder than most. Ideally you want a thin blue smoke from the stack/vent, not a billowing white smoke. For the pork shoulder I have been smoking until it hits 160 internal temperature, and then foiled until about 195. Ribs are smoked for 2 hours, foiled for 2 hours, and un-foiled and lightly smoked for the last 1 hour. Add enough throughout the cook to maintain the thin smoke and you should be Ok. This has worked for me fine.
PS---Chips work good too to get a feel for how much smoke you need, but burn out faster than chunks. I learned on chips.post #4 of 48/6/10 at 5:46pm
I think I would try a good heavy dose of straight apple. it can give you smoke good smokey flavor and then be smooth enough for you and your parents. That's what I would do.
- How much and what kind of wood chunks.......
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Here Piggy Piggy Brine
- › B-Day Chicken Dinner Winner 27 minutes ago
- › 300lbs in a day 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › Breakfast Sausage 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
- › pork loin for sausage 1 hour, 42 minutes ago
- › HELP with breakfast link casings 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
- › Winston-Salem/Greensboro here! 2 hours ago
- › Getting discouraged. Salmon fiasco and Canadian bacon maybe. 2 hours, 18 minutes ago
- › Frozen fresh ham 2 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › Shirley fabrication question 3 hours, 28 minutes ago
- › Big Poppa UDS Build with Pics 3 hours, 37 minutes ago
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives