I've been reading threads, sites, watched videos, etc. for 2 days and haven't come across answers to some questions. Hope you can assist.
Have a 30" MES that I've seasoned according to the instructions. That's my total amount of experience in smoking.
Want to try doing some ribs tomorrow. I've got my rub on, put in plastic and foil in the fridge. But......I need to know:
1. Do you Pre-Heat the smoker? If so to what temperature and for how long. Do you go to 270, add chips ( wet or dry) , and let it smoke, then dial down to your desired temp THEN add your ribs? Or do you just set it at 225-250 and dump your chips when it reaches that temp.......THEN add the ribs? I need to know the process.
2. If you've preheat, & are ready to insert the ribs, you add more chips at that time or not? If so do you add wet or dry and approx how much if you're using Hickory and Apple. Hand full, Cup, etc.
Do you ever add more chips throughout the 2-2-1 or 3-2-1 process? If yes, how often and are you adding them wet or dry.
3. Which of the 4 racks do you put your ribs on. Upper 2, Middle 2 or Lower 2 if you're doing 2 slabs of BB.
4. Is it absolutely necessary to use a RIB RACK and smoke vertically? What's the advantages of this method. Do you oil the rack?
5. What settings for the little vent at the top. Closed when pre-heating then open? 100% Open during smoking process, half open? What do you think?
6. Do you add water or apple juice to the bottom pan? If yes, about how much and do you pre-heat the liquid before
introducing it into the smoker to maintain temp. If you add the liquid is it when you start the ribs or later in the cooking process.
Thanks for your answers...... looking forward to reading all your comments and instructions