SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Gonna do my first briskett saturday what rub should I use?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gonna do my first briskett saturday what rub should I use? - Page 2

post #21 of 36
Thread Starter 

I picked up a nine and a half pounder today so its on soon, was gonna do it tomorrow but didn't have luck with the dome lid i bought so i could have two shelves. how long will a nine lber take roughly?

post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandemonium View Post

I picked up a nine and a half pounder today so its on soon, was gonna do it tomorrow but didn't have luck with the dome lid i bought so i could have two shelves. how long will a nine lber take roughly?


It depends on a number of factors, but I'd give yourself at least 12 hours.

post #23 of 36

Yeah! They only carry one at a time here also........... on the other hand they carry 5 or 6 pork picnics prepackaged all the time and they cut them in half after a few days every time and for the price I sometimes get 2 or 3 if marked way down and just put them in the freezer....

 

Love your radiation sign ... was a Nuclear Tech for about 40years before retirement... I always tell my kids that was why they lost their brains while in high school.... LOL....

post #24 of 36

Pandemonium, I know this is late since you have already smoked that puppy and I didn't read all the posts in their entirety but as newby I have been there and have a few suggestions. Fruit woods have worked best for me; in particular Apple; Oak and Hickory in moderation, and as was suggested, Mesquite carefully. Jeff's rub works fantastic and is not loaded with sodium like the commercial stuff. If you have not bought the recipe, you may want to think about it. At the same time I have used a simple kosher salt, course ground pepper, and garlic rub on top of a yellow mustard massage. Take a look at my latest post above yours "two briskets". There is no doubt that you will do well and this site is a wealth of information not to mention the best smokers on the planet.

 

Smokenharley

post #25 of 36
Thread Starter 

No i havent done it yet so thanks for the info i am a little nervous plus i have been doing ribs and a 13 hour but today i need a bbq break for a few days so ill probably do it wednesday or thursday, long story short my dome lid didnt work yet so i only have one rack in my uds. so it seems that a brisket takes as long as a pork butt? because all my butts have taken at least twelve hours.

post #26 of 36

The larger cuts of meat are pretty much the same as for the (time).

1.5 - 1.75 h / lb .

 Except for prime rib ,Everyone i have cooked in the coventional way on my smoker has fallen w/ in that range.

post #27 of 36
Thread Starter 

Do most of you mop or spray it every hour? and what about cooking half in smoker and finishing in the oven? just curious because i had to do that with a butt the other day and it was good, doesnt the smoke only penetrate for the first few hours? i was just reading and someone said they dont put the drip pan until it hits a certain temp? Dont i just put it in right away?


Edited by pandemonium - 7/28/10 at 6:39am
post #28 of 36

Panda: I have never mopped or sprayed for a full cut of meat but there are those that do and swear it is the way to go. Mine have always been rather moist even without a water pan that some use. Although, when I made burnt ends last weekend and I smoked some venison tenderloin at the same time I thought it essential to keep them moist given the size of the burnt ends and the leaness of the venison - I didn't want either to dry out. I used a spritz of 25% water and 75% Capt. Morgan Spiced Rum about every half hour or so for three hours and all turned-out quite well.

post #29 of 36

With brisket I almost neverspray, not unless I have to open the smoker for something else. I don't want to dump my temps, and if your peeking you ain't smokin! lol

post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIRodriguez View Post

With brisket I almost neverspray, not unless I have to open the smoker for something else. I don't want to dump my temps, and if your peeking you ain't smokin! lol

 

I think JIR said it well. The only time I open the smoker is to take a picture for the group. Otherwise it is down for the temp count - however long that may be.
 

post #31 of 36
Thread Starter 

well its seasoned up and in the fridge i plan on throwing it on the uds around midnight and go to bed and hope for the best..

post #32 of 36

I gotta question for you folks.  Never smoked a brisket yet, and before I read about the "packers cut" I bought a "flat cut" at Costco.  I'm having some friends over for dinner next week, promised ribs (which I've made before, smoke for about 5 hrs at 220-225 or so).  The brisket is about 4 1/2 lbs, so I'm thinking it should take just over 5 1/2 hours.

 

Thought I'd start the smoker with the brisket, then add the ribs later on. 

 

Anyone have any reason why this wouldn't work out?  I thought it would be nice to have something besides the ribs.  There are plenty of suggestions on here for marinades and rubs etc.

 

Thanks!

post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbark View Post

I gotta question for you folks.  Never smoked a brisket yet, and before I read about the "packers cut" I bought a "flat cut" at Costco.  I'm having some friends over for dinner next week, promised ribs (which I've made before, smoke for about 5 hrs at 220-225 or so).  The brisket is about 4 1/2 lbs, so I'm thinking it should take just over 5 1/2 hours.

 

Thought I'd start the smoker with the brisket, then add the ribs later on. 

 

Anyone have any reason why this wouldn't work out?  I thought it would be nice to have something besides the ribs.  There are plenty of suggestions on here for marinades and rubs etc.

 

Thanks!



Brisket runs about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. a pound and you absolutely do not want to rush it. Now I am assuming your Costco trims all the fat off like mine does, so make sure you have a good thermometer and are keeping the temps between 200° & 225°. You might want to also drape some bacon across the top of the brisket to help it stay moist. For your brisket I would allow 10 hrs. from time put on the smoker to slicing, so roughly 8 hrs. cooking and then another 1-2 hrs. to rest foiled in a cooler.

 

Since the brisket needs the cooler time plan your ribs to finish up in 5-6 hrs. from time on smoker to time to eat. If the ribs finsish a little early they can also be foiled and put in the cooler for a bit as well.

 

It's always better to have the food done and waiting in the cooler, than trying to cut it too close and having to wait an hour or so with all your guests. Hope it all turns out good!

post #34 of 36


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIRodriguez View Post





Brisket runs about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. a pound and you absolutely do not want to rush it. Now I am assuming your Costco trims all the fat off like mine does, so make sure you have a good thermometer and are keeping the temps between 200° & 225°. You might want to also drape some bacon across the top of the brisket to help it stay moist. For your brisket I would allow 10 hrs. from time put on the smoker to slicing, so roughly 8 hrs. cooking and then another 1-2 hrs. to rest foiled in a cooler.

 

Since the brisket needs the cooler time plan your ribs to finish up in 5-6 hrs. from time on smoker to time to eat. If the ribs finsish a little early they can also be foiled and put in the cooler for a bit as well.

 

It's always better to have the food done and waiting in the cooler, than trying to cut it too close and having to wait an hour or so with all your guests. Hope it all turns out good!

 

Thanks for the suggestions.  I didn't think the brisket would take quite that long, I was reading 1 to 1 1/4 hours per pound?  But as you said I can start it all early, monitor the temps and then let it sit for a while.

 

Yeah the brisket has most fat trimmed off, and I also read elsewhere about putting bacon across the top -- is that just plain ol' bacon, or the thick stuff, or does it matter?

 

One question -- about putting the brisket and ribs the "cooler" -- I've always let stuff sit a bit after cooking it, and this may be a dumb question, but why in the cooler, and should I be adding ice to the cooler?  If the brisket is supposed to rest for 1-2 hours -- it won't be warm by the time it's served?  I must be missing something... 
 

post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbark View Post


 

 

Thanks for the suggestions.  I didn't think the brisket would take quite that long, I was reading 1 to 1 1/4 hours per pound?  But as you said I can start it all early, monitor the temps and then let it sit for a while.

 

Yeah the brisket has most fat trimmed off, and I also read elsewhere about putting bacon across the top -- is that just plain ol' bacon, or the thick stuff, or does it matter?

 

One question -- about putting the brisket and ribs the "cooler" -- I've always let stuff sit a bit after cooking it, and this may be a dumb question, but why in the cooler, and should I be adding ice to the cooler?  If the brisket is supposed to rest for 1-2 hours -- it won't be warm by the time it's served?  I must be missing something... 
 



All good questions.

 

Any bacon will do, the bacon will be tossed, it is just there to help baste the brisket as it cooks since Costco cut off all the fat cap.

 

Coolering big pieces of meat is the rest time to allow the juices to redistribute throughout the entire piece of meat. Basic technique is put an old towel in the bottom of the cooler, put your foil wrapped meat on top of the towel (make sure there are no holes in the foil), then fill the rest of the space in the cooler with more old towels or an old pillow. You can keep large pieces of meat hot for a long time this way, and it will still be very hot. I have kept a 8 lb. pork butt for 6 hrs. and still had it to hot to handle with bare hands, so if your brisket and/or ribs finish early just pop them into the cooler.

post #36 of 36
Thread Starter 

well i just pulled her off the smoker and shes resting in the cooler after a 15 hour smoke!! pics to come

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Gonna do my first briskett saturday what rub should I use?