or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GOSM Gas Question?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Would it be very difficult to change a GOSM Gas over to Charcoal?

 

Q.  Why would you want to? (I just know someone will ask lol)

A.  Because I perfer charcoal.

post #2 of 15

Well, I'm about to find out.  I just picked up a side firebox to add to my GOSM big block propane.  I don't want to convert it - I want to be able to do either one. 

 

Looks to me like all you'd have to do to convert one is just remove the burner and add a side firebox.

post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

That's an interesting idea.

post #4 of 15

In the 18 months I've been smoking meats I have come to this conclusion:

 

I just don't ever have 13 consecutive hours at my house where I am not sleeping for most of them.  Ever.  And my family really loves pulled pork.

 

So what I'm thinking is that the propane has been really convenient for shorter smokes.  Fish, ribs, etc.  The really long ones, though, aren't working out because I just can't allocate an entire day to smoking meat.  I need to be able to leave the house for a couple hours during the smoke.  Can't do that with propane.  Now, with charcoal, the worst that can happen is that something opens up the oxygen and my coals burn out and the meat gets wrecked, yes?  At least that's not a fireball.

post #5 of 15


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtower View Post

In the 18 months I've been smoking meats I have come to this conclusion:

 

I just don't ever have 13 consecutive hours at my house where I am not sleeping for most of them.  Ever.  And my family really loves pulled pork.

 

So what I'm thinking is that the propane has been really convenient for shorter smokes.  Fish, ribs, etc.  The really long ones, though, aren't working out because I just can't allocate an entire day to smoking meat.  I need to be able to leave the house for a couple hours during the smoke.  Can't do that with propane.  Now, with charcoal, the worst that can happen is that something opens up the oxygen and my coals burn out and the meat gets wrecked, yes?  At least that's not a fireball.


you could mod your gasser with a thermostat

post #6 of 15

My GOSM has a side fire box.  Just make sure that you seal off the bottom opening were the hole is for the burner-I use several layers of heavy duty aluminum foil. If you don't you'll take in to much air and won't be able to control your temps via the air intake on the SFB.

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 

I've only seen a picture of it so far, I am picking it up this weekend for $20.  I am just trying to get an idea if it would be very much work to pull off all the gas stuff, close up everything except vents, and throw in a charcoal basket, and water pan.  Would it be that easy?

post #8 of 15

STh

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtower View Post

Well, I'm about to find out.  I just picked up a side firebox to add to my GOSM big block propane.  I don't want to convert it - I want to be able to do either one. 

 

Looks to me like all you'd have to do to convert one is just remove the burner and add a side firebox.



Thta sounds like the way to go, without having to remove the burner and provide/create  a firebox. Good luck my friend.

post #9 of 15

 

It's equipment failure that I am worried about with the propane unattended.  I don't want to be away from the house and have a tree limb fall on my smoker or something else weird.  There is enough fuel in that tank to cause a real problem should something go wrong and nobody is around to catch it early.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIB View Post


you could mod your gasser with a thermostat

post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 

Bump?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyzaring View Post

I've only seen a picture of it so far, I am picking it up this weekend for $20.  I am just trying to get an idea if it would be very much work to pull off all the gas stuff, close up everything except vents, and throw in a charcoal basket, and water pan.  Would it be that easy?

post #11 of 15

I think it would be even easier to leave the burner in for when you have the time to be there and install a finned heater strip and control it with a thermostat or better yet, a PID when you don't, that's (PID) what's in the near future for me.

 

Gene

post #12 of 15

I have a lot of faith in my propane big blocks.  I have no problem leaving them to go run errands.  I have never had an issue with it.I make sure there is plenty of water in the tray, and fresh wood in the box.  The worst things that can happen are temp spikes, or the plastic knob that hooks to the tank crack.  Otherwise pretty rugged.  Just ask mythbusters :)

post #13 of 15

 

I didn't ask Mythbusters but I did ask the local FD.  They told me it's a bad idea and recommended avoiding it if possible because they'd rather not walk into someone's backyard to extinguish what looks like a trivial fire only to find a full propane tank sitting at the center of it.  I consider them credible. 

 

 

The way I look at it I'm also building my skills.  I have never tried with charcoal or wood fuel.  Gotta be able to get it done that way too!  Why store and maintain a second cabinet when I can mod the great one I have?  It seems like literally a 15 minute mod.  I picked up some aluminum trim channels last night to give me a slide-in mount point.  Also picked up some fireplace braid to seal between the sidebox and the cabinet.  Once they are installed not only will I be able to use either propane or charcoal/wood but I'll also be able to remove the side box and use it independently as a charcoal grill.

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

My GOSM has a side fire box.  Just make sure that you seal off the bottom opening were the hole is for the burner-I use several layers of heavy duty aluminum foil. If you don't you'll take in to much air and won't be able to control your temps via the air intake on the SFB.



Thanks Dutch....  I added a side fire box to my GOSM, way back when, and wasn't satisfied with the heat generation (way too low).  Now I know why....the bottom opening needs to be covered.

 

 

 

post #15 of 15

Umm, leave the burner in, slide a hunk of steel over the top top to cover the airflow and add a sidebox. Or, send it to me fully functional and I'll find ya a nice ECB in trade. 

 

Propane is terribly safe. Having a wide open hose on fire will not be cause for concern if the reg is operating properly. The problem lies when folks cook under patios, don't clean thier grills and end up lighting them on fire, or worse yet, dunk frozen turkeys in a pot full of hot oil...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Propane Smokers