or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Smoking Bacon › Smoked Bacon ( step by step with Qview )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoked Bacon ( step by step with Qview ) - Page 5

post #81 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis9 View Post

I just got a pork belly tonite and followed your recipe for the cure. My only question is was it ok that the skin was still on the one side? Also would it be ok to leave it cure till next weekend which would be 11 days.


Yes---No problem leaving the skin on. I like to Cure & Smoke it without the skin, because I don't plan on eating the Skin, and I figure no reason to cure & smoke something I'm not going to eat.

However it doesn't hurt anything having the skin on.

 

I don't know how thick your Belly is, but I'm sure 11 days won't be too long. Be sure to rinse it real good after curing, and give it a Salt-Fry Test before smoking it, just in case it has a little extra salt flavor.

 

 

Bear

post #82 of 94
Got me some belly yesterday. Cheapest I could find was $3.69/lb at a local butcher. Since the meat is frozen solid I had them cut me 1-lb pieces +/- a few ounces. Can't really get going on the curing until my scale gets here. So in the meantime I'm just going to leave it all in the freezer. I'm using Prague Powder #1 so I'll use digging dog farms cure calculator to help me figure how much cure, salt, and sugar I need one I CAN get things going. See below.

What I've figured out for cure for each block of belly:

Edited by CajunCPO - 3/6/16 at 6:31am
post #83 of 94
Is there a particular reason to use an A-MAZE-N Smoker to smoke the belly pieces? I've got a 30" electric MES Smoker and usually don't have an issue regulating the temperature or the smoke. With the built-in wood chip trays I've found that it's not hard to keep the smoke going at a good rate. Want to do this right - the first time - and not waste $20+ of pork. I know I'm REALLY new at this, but this smoking stuff is fun! Addictive, actually!!
post #84 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCPO View Post

Is there a particular reason to use an A-MAZE-N Smoker to smoke the belly pieces? I've got a 30" electric MES Smoker and usually don't have an issue regulating the temperature or the smoke. With the built-in wood chip trays I've found that it's not hard to keep the smoke going at a good rate. Want to do this right - the first time - and not waste $20+ of pork. I know I'm REALLY new at this, but this smoking stuff is fun! Addictive, actually!!


Most MES users run the AMNPS because you can get up to 11 hours of perfect smoke without touching it.

 

When you use the MES chip burner, you generally get a variation of smoke amounts between Zero smoke & smoke that is too heavy.

This is not to say that it can't be done, but I quit the headaches of the MES chip burner over 6 years ago, and have enjoyed perfect smoke ever since, with very little effort.

 

 

Bear

post #85 of 94
Just ordered me 6x6 A-Maze-N smoker! Y'all convinced me. Thanks.
post #86 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCPO View Post

Just ordered me 6x6 A-Maze-N smoker! Y'all convinced me. Thanks.


Just so you know---The 6 X 6 AMNS is only for Dust (Not Pellets), and not good for Smoker temps much over 200°.

 

You might want to change your order to a 5 X 8 AMNPS (good for Dust or Pellets & any temp to 275°)

 

 

Bear 

post #87 of 94
Cntacted them this morning and got things switched out. No problems at all. Great group of people to deal with.
post #88 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCPO View Post

Contacted them this morning and got things switched out. No problems at all. Great group of people to deal with.

 

That's Great-----That's the best place there is to deal with----Todd is Awesome!!Thumbs Up

 

 

Bear

post #89 of 94
Woo Hoo...my scale arrived this afternoon, per my wife. So now I can go home and get my pork belly prepped and start aging it!
post #90 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCPO View Post

Woo Hoo...my scale arrived this afternoon, per my wife. So now I can go home and get my pork belly prepped and start aging it!

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

 

 

Bear

post #91 of 94
1st batch of bacon done!
Five pounds of bacon after about 8' hours of smoking at 115* to 120*. That A-Maze-N smoker is the bomb!! Meat smells good. Will test it tomorrow for breakfast. Thanks for all the help. Especially you Bear.
post #92 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCPO View Post

1st batch of bacon done!
Five pounds of bacon after about 8' hours of smoking at 115* to 120*. That A-Maze-N smoker is the bomb!! Meat smells good. Will test it tomorrow for breakfast. Thanks for all the help. Especially you Bear. 

 

Looks Great Chief!!:drool

 

Mighty Tasty!!      :points:For first time Bacon making!!!

 

Tip:  You might want to make it bigger pieces next time. Makes it easier all around.

 

 

Bear

post #93 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post

Looks Great Chief!!drool.gif

Mighty Tasty!!      points.gif For first time Bacon making!!!

Tip:  You might want to make it bigger pieces next time. Makes it easier all around.


Bear
Thanks. I originally had a 5l lb piece they I figured was too big son in if it down. Next time I'll just buy more and keep the pieces larger.
post #94 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCPO View Post


Thanks. I originally had a 5l lb piece they I figured was too big son in if it down. Next time I'll just buy more and keep the pieces larger.


FYI:  I like to cut my bellies into the sizes that will fit nicely into the size Ziplock I'm going to use, and the size pieces that will fit nicely on my MES racks (Leaving room between the pieces for proper air flow through my smoker).

That's what controls the sizes I cut my bellies to.

 

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Smoking Bacon
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Smoking Bacon › Smoked Bacon ( step by step with Qview )