...where is my smoke ring? i have used the 22.5" WSM twice now and i love the simplicity of operation, but i'm missing the deep smokey flavor and smoke ring i use to get from my offset. i put 6 tennis ball sized chunks in the first smoke. i used almost 10 tennis ball sized chunks on the second smoke and still no smoke ring to write home about. what am i doing wrong?
- productWeber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smokertagged by System, 7/11/10
Related Forum Threads
- Overnight 1st brisket smoke with pics! Last post on 2/5/15 at 1:22pm in Beef
- The function or funtions of the water pan in the "WSM". Last post on 10/21/15 at 8:16am in WSM Owners (Weber Smokey Mountain)
- Getting High Temp in WSM Last post on 1/22/15 at 6:16am in Poultry
- UPDATE - Weber (the company...) rocks!!! RE: New WSM bent, need advice on if this is normal and... Last post on 2/26/15 at 8:25am in Charcoal Smokers
- Bacon in a WSM? Last post on 12/16/14 at 5:50pm in Bacon
I've had my Daniel Boone for 3 years or so. Smoked countless briskets, pork butts, turkey, tri tip, prime ribs, summer sausage, pepperoni, brats, jerky, fish....the list goes on and on. Always has...
I have A 5x8 Smoke Box, And A Twelve inch Smoke Tube. Stop By A-maze-n Store Today To Pick Up Thermometer. And Todd Took Care Of Me, He is Excellent to work with, even sent me home with some free...
I bought this unit because I was tired of the cheap thermometers at the store. Little did I realize what an improvement this was going to be. The oven probe showed that my smoker was 23 degrees...
Ive ground and mixed 60 + pounds of meat so far in 20-25 lbs batches. 1st, it does a much better job than I did manually with out over working the meat. I need to work on my setup a bit to make the...
So I purchased a GMG Jim Bowie prior to owning my Blaz'n Grill GridIron. I had problems from the start and eventually sold it after owning it for a little over 3 months. I paid more than double for...
question for the WSM operators
Gear mentioned in this thread:
How long were the smokes, what type of wood, and what type of meat? On a short smoke like chicken you might not get much of a smoke ring, but you should see it on the longer ones. When I am doing a long smoke I put one layer of briquets on the bottom of my ring, then put 5 or 6 chunks of wood. Then I fill my ring the rest of the way up and put another 6 or so chunks on top.
i did spare ribs, brisket and turkey legs the first smoke. the second go, i did spare ribs and chuck roast. just my usual rub. the wood is not old. use apple on the first smoke and pecan on the second smoke. i put the meat in cold the first smoke and around room temp on the second smoke. noticed the ring was deeper the first time around, but even at that it was only an eighth of an inch or less. i'm new to the WSM, not bbq cooking. i understand smoke ring doesn't equal smoke flavor, but the smoke FLAVOR was not there either. i like a fairly deep smoke ring for appearance purposes. i have operated it as suggested by others here and from other bbq forums.
i havn't used my bullett but twice first was a bostbutt 2nd was a couple of
whole chickens, started off with 4 fist sized chunks of hickory then added
a couple here and there. both times had good pink in them. hmm!
loadin up 3rd attempt. 2 racks of spares and 2 chuckies. i'm gonna use mesquite this time and see what happens. i really lik ethe ease of operation, but i have be dissappointed with the que that has come off of the WSM. i'm using my remote thermos and the racks are staying in the 225 - 250 range the whole time. i could have gotten a lemon.
little up date here. after running for an hour, i've decided that the bottom grate in my WSM is useless. i've got the top grate at 245 and the bottom is at 215. all intakes are 100% open (exhaust is 100% open of course). i think i'm gonna be happier with the out come this time, i just can't believe that the bottom grate is gonna run 30 degrees cooler. if i loaded my WSM up with ribs (my 2 rib racks allow a total of 12 racks of spares), then i'm only gonna get half of my load cooked properly. we will see how the smoke ring/smoke flavor turns out in about 5 more hours.
The bottom grate runs cooler than the top grate. If you are smokin' a brisket and a butt for instance, then put the brisket on top (to get done sooner) and the butt on the bottom, and then when you take the brisket off then put the butt on the top grate.
When I smoke butts, the temp from the top grate to the lower grate is normally 10* off.
If the WSM is for sale email me.
I suppose you could close down the top vent to 75 or 50 percent to keep the smoke in the chamber longer. That would intensify the smoke flavor for sure. Another option might be to place some larger chunks of wood or a split on the outside of the charcoal ring. It would eventualy get hot enough to smoke and since it is out of direct contact with the coals it should burn for quite a while.
well, the 3rd times a charm. the WSM stays! this cook turned out the best que i have ever produced. this thing is gonna be super helpful in the comp. i'm gonna do in september. my lid thermo doesn't work at all. i had read that others can use it. for the first 3 hours the bottom rack was 30 degrees cooler than the top. it finally settled out to a 15 degree difference. now that i know that, things should be turning out great.
- question for the WSM operators
- › Brisky point beef tips on a baked potato 1 minute ago
- › Venison Backstrap 4 minutes ago
- › Smoked chicken in Alfredo sauce 7 minutes ago
- › Smokin Al's "Judy's buns" 9 minutes ago
- › Just ordered Anova SV 14 minutes ago
- › Carnivores in Cali 17 minutes ago
- › beyond ones control "sausage fails" 17 minutes ago
- › Sweet Lebanon bologna 22 minutes ago
- › SV Venison Steaks With A CI finish !! 36 minutes ago
- › TexMex snack sticks 45 minutes ago
- › GMG by Kirby27
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Maverick ET-732 Remote Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes by MyOwnIdaho
- › 7-Gal. Mixer Attachment with Tilt by TripleQ
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by FBI Van Outside
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by miked945
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Vajinyan
- › Slow 'N Sear by ammaturesmoker
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Dabnet795
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Deluxe Grill by Face
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine
- › Seasonings & Marinades
- › Tying a Butcher's Knot