I have made a couple really good briskets in the past couple months so I figured I would smoke one for the 4th. I picked one out at costcoand it looked like it had a good amount of fat on it like the others. I smoked it for 12 hours 2-4 hours more than the other 2 i got it up to 190 and pulled it wrapped it in foil and blankets and put it in the cooler. An hour later i started to slice it and there was no fat to be seen. when I took a bite it was as tough as old shoe leather. My question would be is this from there not being enough fat or not smoking it long enough?
- topicBriskettagged by System, 7/12/10
Related Forum Threads
- Prepping Brisket Last post on 9/18/15 at 6:42am in Beef
- Overnight 1st brisket smoke with pics! Last post on 2/5/15 at 1:22pm in Beef
- Question on smoking a brisket and ribs together Last post on 12/24/14 at 6:37am in General Discussion
- First Brisket, Question regarding cut of meat Last post on 12/19/14 at 1:18pm in Beef
- Small Pretrimmed brisket...First time! Last post on 12/20/14 at 2:27pm in Beef
Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And Process
Last edited: 9/22/12
- Geeks Basic BrisketLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brisket Separation TechniqueLast edited: 9/9/10
- Red Bell Pepper Rub Naturally Sweet And Mildy Spicy No SugarLast edited: 8/28/13
- Brisket Marinade And RubLast edited: 5/25/10
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is actually a review for Traegers customer service. I don't own a Traeger, but I borrowed and damaged one. I have a Yoder 640. I had loaded 70lbs of pork into it, and went to bed. In the...
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
Overall I am very pleased with my Smoke Hollow smoker. IT is a great unit for me, I bought at Sams for less than 400 after taxes. The entire unit itself comes in at over 76 inches in total length...
I've only had the Masterbuilt dual-fuel propane for a month now but have used it 10 times for everything from salmon to pulled pork. I had been thinking about getting a real smoker for a while now...
Question about brisketpost #1 of 47/7/10 at 7:07pmThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 47/7/10 at 8:22pm
How much did it weigh? More importantly, what temp range was your smoker at? I believe smaller briskies are more easily dried out if the temp gets too high. The big packers are tougher and the amount of meat can take some higher temps and survive a longer time in the smoker without drying out so much..
Did it stall?
As silly as it may sound, maybe you got it to 190 too quicky..post #3 of 47/7/10 at 9:01pm
If I had to guess, the probe was in a bad place. I have had a few where the temp just didn't seem right for the time, and once I started probing around, I found that most of the brisket was actually 10° to 15° hotter. Once I put the probe back to where it was it was reading right. Not sure why it happens other than there are things about fluid and heat dynamics I just cant explain. Saying that you were 2 to 4 hours longer in smoke time is what tells me it might have been something similar. Then there is always the possibility the slab of meat was just too lean to begin with.post #4 of 47/7/10 at 11:06pm
Fourthwind is probably right. I've probed briskets that show temp ranges of greater than 20* from one part to the next. Believe it or not, the flat on my last brisket a week ago was the lower temp. My guess is either a faulty probe or the whole brisket wasn't up to temp. 195* is the minimum for a tender slice scenario.
- Question about brisket
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Geeks Basic Brisket
- › Meat, Cats, and Guns oh my. 26 minutes ago
- › 1,000 Gallon Smoker 44 minutes ago
- › Total Newb 3 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › Smoked a couple birds. 3 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › CSR's On The Kettle !! 3 hours, 42 minutes ago
- › somewhat new to smoking 3 hours, 44 minutes ago
- › Brisket time! 3 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Be Honest 3 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › Tri Tip! 4 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › Tri-Tip 4 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by montanashawn
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona
- › Weber 711001 Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker, 14.5-Inch by Cornman
- › Weston Pro Series #22 Food Grinder 1HP by TripleQ